Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet data backup service

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I hope this a good area for the question.

Does anyone here use an internet backup service worth recommending?  I would like to try a free service, but with about 70-80 gigs, I expect I'll probably have to pay.  I keep images on an external drive, but I would like an off-site backup too.

Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm looking into the same type of thing. Here is one resource I looked at. http://online-data-backup-review.toptenreviews.com/ I'm in no hurry however so I'm not sure what if anything I will do. So far, to me, it looks like a lot of the same thing just a matter of what bells and whistles you want.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about it too. Right now I just copy My Docs, pics, music and utilities onto dvds and keep a copy in my bank safe deposit box. Do you think it's a better idea to make ISOs instead of individual files?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

I've heard of Mozy. Never known anybody that uses it, though, so I can't vouch for it personally. You get 2GB free, but have to pay for more.

I keep everything backed up to an external hard drive, as well. If you're worried about yours being lost, damaged, or stolen, buy a fireproof safe that can be bolted to the floor. If I had the money, I would buy one myself...good place to keep important documents, checkbooks, bank statements, etc...and data backups in this case.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 03 April 2010 - 12:54 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Taomech

Taomech

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:07 PM

Carbonite is an option.
It allows you an unlimited amount of data, but you can only backup from the internal drive. You will have to copy your pictures to your internal drive, back them up and then copy them back to the external. However, Carbonite is a very cheap option, only $54 USD a year. They also offer a trial, to see if it works for you. I recommended taking it.

Carbonite

If you listen to any of the TWiT podcasts, you should be able to get a discount.

Thank you,
Taomech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users