Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

46% Of Users Intentionally Open Spam Messages

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

From Ars Technica:

According to the MAAWG report, a full half of all North American and Western European users admitted to having opened spam, with nearly half of those people (46 percent) doing so intentionally. Sure, a quarter of those users claimed they did so in order to unsubscribe or complain to the senderóbad idea, people!óbut a full 15 percent said they opened spam because they were interested in the products or services being offered. Another 18 percent simply wanted to "see what would happen," and four percent actually forwarded an e-mail they identified as spam to someone else.

Read more.

Edited by Andrew, 30 May 2010 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

I used to open spam and read them when I first started using email. We even discussed and laughed at spam emails in school. I guess that is exciting for newbies.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

With all the information about spam problems on this site and others like this site, news on tv and radio why would any body open them? I must be just dumb because I can't understand why.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Some people are amused by certain kinds of spam. I used to know someone who read Nigerian scam letters for his own amusement. One would think that would get old very quickly.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

What do you want to bet that a lot of those who get a lot of the spam do so because they use preview pane? "phone home, we have a good address here, we can send even more to this person. Let's up the ante and see if he/she will be gullible enough to click on anything so we can infect that person's system".

In preview pane, the message automatically shows usually below the message listings. All one has to do is 1)highlight a message OR 2)delete a message and the next one will pop up in preview pane.

Even though the message itself isn't clicked on to open it, it's opened in preview pane, thus triggering whatever bug that phones home.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

I have opened them intentionally on occassion. I almost always open the ones that are phishing scams so I can send them to the abuse department of whatever banks name they are using. I do not worry one bit abit opening them, just opening them is not going to do one single thing to my computer. AOL does not let anything be sent or received through them that contains a virus and even if something slipped by their protection, unless I download something from the email, or click on a link in it, I am not going to be infected, so if I feel like opening it, I do.

Edited by Stang777, 06 April 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#7 ogasdd

ogasdd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

I read them....
If I am intersted in what ever they are trying to do.

#8 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

I open spam all the time, but I'm one of those 4%'ers who forward it on. Going a little deeper, out of that 4%, I'm probably in the <10% who can actually parse headers, do WHOIS, check IP histories and all those things that spammers *don't* want you to do :inlove: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

Here's one of my heroes..
http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=VUZTDF&...Mattocks+Mallet

:flowers: Not trying to brag, but I've helped take down a gazillion of dem bastiches.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#9 azlumberking

azlumberking

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

I got bored and started replying to all the Nigerian emails. Everytime they send a reply I would just keep sending something like, "sounds good, let's do it!" This would go on with the same people for weeks until one morning around 4am I got a call on my cell phone from one of the guys. He researched my email and found a business site with some of my personal info on it. Kind of freaked me out.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

Why did not police call your first ? When you send few emails to Nigerian scam people, soon police gives you a call warning you not to involve yourself with them.

#11 azlumberking

azlumberking

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

I have no idea how the police would have known about my emails but it would have been good advice.

#12 tinyfighters

tinyfighters

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

These guys are spamming my email but I have a very funny auto-response.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

LoL tinyfigheters your avatar picture is funny and your signature is funny too :thumbsup:

#14 joshuawhite

joshuawhite

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

eh... I too read nigerian inheritance letters for my amusement... it doesn't get old and one of these days when I inherit 4.92 million from my estranged dead uncle... you'll be the jealous one, not me

#15 HijackMeThis

HijackMeThis

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

I like to read the Nigerian letters.
I used to reply to them to mess around with whoever sent me it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users