Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best software for recording computers on?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

I need to create some procedures for work, and instead of taking screen captures, I thought that maybe taking 1-2 minutes of video and posting it to our intranet would be better. I have used camstudio in the past, but I wasn't pleased with the quality once I saw it on a media player.

The desktops and procedures I'll be recording in would be at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 on a stock Dell (embedded video, no fancy graphics or rendering card), or perhaps on a virtual machine with similar resolution (which is what I originally tried with camstudio on... could virtualization be the reason for crummy video quality? I don't know a lot about it) and then reduced to something youtube-sized to embed on our intranet pages.

Any recording software recommendations for that kind of application? I'm hoping "open source" and "free" are part of the discussion. :thumbsup: Budget didn't include editing software licenses this year. (I can always take the video home and run it through imovie, or something...)

For production, I just need the ability to add subtitles as the film goes along. I'm not even sure I need non-linear editing, or any special bells and whistles. Just some basic type and a fade-to-black. But the most important thing is recording it in really good quality, because some of our users still use 1024 or 800-sized resolutions, because they "don't like reading small fonts." I just need a recording that'll look good on any of the machines in the office.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

I use Camstudio all the time and it always comes out clear. I am guessing that whatever you are doing to 'reduce it' is killing the resolution. Not sure why you would need to reduce it anyway. Youtube allows 2gig uploads, which are HD

For post production, use Windows Live Movie Maker. It is free and will do everything you need, including transitions and subtitles.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

What codecs are you using? I was browsing around and people have told me compression and codecs might be part of my problem - along with the fact that I need to embed these on our intranet as flash (since everyone has that, and distribution would be simpler than installing the codecs on every computer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users