Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With laptop Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 josta

josta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I have a problem with a Dell XPS M1710 laptop.
When I first checked this problem the screen would appear blank with a grayish hue, and slowly a blackness would expand from the screens left bottom corner.

I tried connecting an external monitor but the laptop would not show any image.

I disconnected the laptop's screen and when I turned it on the external monitor it now showed the screen with the message if I wanted to go into "safe mode", "last known good configuration", etc etc. None of these options worked. This screen also showed some dotted blueish vertical lines across the screen as well as on the windows loading screen.

I then reinstalled its operating system (windows xp media center 2005).

I reconnected the laptop's screen and now it worked fine.

I went away for the weekend and when I came back and turned back on same thing, grayish blank screen and the same black that expands from the same corner. If I connect an external monitor the image shows just fine. The windows xp screen still shows the blue vertical lines.

So far I'm guessing it's either the screen itself or maybe the video card.

Any ideas? has anyone run into a similar problem??

thnx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

With all laptop display problems, you should try a residual power release. Take out the battery and unplug the AC adapter. Hold the power button for between 1-2 minutes. Then, plug in the AC adapter only (don't put the battery back in yet) and boot the machine. If your display looks okay, put the battery back in and continue. Otherwise, it's something else.

#3 josta

josta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

I did that and nothing happened. Is it suppose to make some sound or beep or something? thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users