Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows has recovered from a serious error...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vperez

vperez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

Over the last few days, I have been experiencing problems with my IE recovering Tabs repeatedly; the Windows error box stating the System has recovered from a serious error and even shutting down with reboot. Sometimes it works ok with no problem, other times it does this every few minutes. The only thing I noticed was the date had reverted to January 2002. I have not noticed any other changes to programs or such that I can see- there are 6 users, I have the only admin account.

I have done most of the basic things to resolve this- followed some of the help posts here. Today, when doing a disk check, the computer shut down and rebooted. It is here that I give up- I need some advanced help! I ran your DSS program after that happened, it follows below.

Bless those of you that REALLY understand the Geek-speak!
Victoria

Here are my computers vitals:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 04
System Model P8626A-ABA 522C
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1662 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. MS-6367, 5/13/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 334.71 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.76 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

EDIT: Removed log data not permitted in XP forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2010 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi, Victoria :thumbsup:.

I'm going to remove your DDS log data, it has no place in the XP forum and relates to malware procedures used by the BC members of the malware team. If you believe that you have a malware issue and want to initiate proper procedures for handling such...see Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/.

Note that these procedures are for a different forum, so please don't post malware data/logs, etc. that might be requested...here in the XP forum.

But...I think you may not have a malware issue.

I suggest you try replacing your CMOS battery. When it starts to weaken, among other things...the system clock will move back, probably to something approximating the date of the original BIOS installed.

This battery is available anywhere any batteries for electronics, radios, watches, etc. are sold...costs less than $4.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

After replacing it, you will also have to reset the BIOS clock (which is the system clock) and date and save the changes in your BIOS. Then reboot and see if former problems are still present.

Louis

#3 vperez

vperez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Thanks hamluis!
I did read the Prep guide. Guess I'm just bleary-eyed... been at this since 9 AM. I will do the battery thing, didn't know there was 1 in there =P
Didn't think it was malware, but was at a loss for what it could be. Question: Is 2 gigs of RAM enough for general computer use? I have increased it before and can add more when I change the battery.
Be Blessed,
Victoria

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

2 GB of RAM is fine with 32-bit Windows XP, with the possible exception of doing something RAM intensive all day, every day (graphics-editing, video-editing, etc.).

If you want to increase the amount of RAM in your system...be aware that increasing the amount of RAM is the typically way to increase system responsivity, along with maintenance.

I would change the battery and see what the status of the system is...if problems exist, we'll devise a stategy to overcome same.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users