Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe and iexplore.exe processes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 babeluda

babeluda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

This is my first post, I don't really know if I'm doing it right.

Recently I tried downloading a codec via Windows Media Player, failed, and let it go. However on the next startup I noticed the computer was running a lot more slower than usual, so I opened taskmgr.exe and noticed lots of svchost.exe processes using loads of memory and CPU. Then iexplore.exe popped up several times even though there were no browser windows open. (And normally there should never be, I run Opera and thought I had unistalled IE)

I then saw an icon of the 'Security Tools' malware in the tray. A friend of mine had dealt with it and told me how to remove it in Safe Mode. I succeeded in removing it, but the iexplore.exe and svchost.exe process issues were not resolved. So I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware, scan the computer, and it found lots of tracking cookies, an 'Adware.Vundo Variant' and a 'Trojan. Agent/Gen'. I followed the instructions to remove the threats, but after the reboot, although the number of detected files had considerably diminished and there were no tracking cookies anymore, those infections were still there.

I ran the scans again in every safe mode and the normal mode, nothing changed. I scanned it with other tools, like Malawarebytes' anti malware and spyware doctor, but even though these detected infections also, the names were different and they couldn't remove them.

I was running PC Tools antivirus when it happened, I had to delete it after it wouldn't work correctly anymore and made my computer freeze. I currently have nothing installed (not even those tools mentioned above).

Any idea how I could solve this? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users