Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Browser Hijack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 canuckfan

canuckfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!

I have looked everywhere and tried everything except posting here. I have a browser hijack that only happens on Yahoo search. I've seen many similar posts but none (I don't think) exactly as mine. The only problem I have is when I do a Yahoo search and then click on the link, it goes to some random legit-looking site. I've never actually let one of the sites load so I don't really know what they are. Also, it seems that due to this hijack virus (?) or whatever I periodically also get the "XP Security Center" thing. I have cleaned the "XP Security Center" with various programs but it comes back every so often. Sometimes if I go forward or back with the browser the yahoo link will work, or sometimes every other time I search it will work but just when I think I've fixed it, I get re-directed again. I'm afraid to even use my computer to access my email because on some other post I read that there's a keylogger as well but I don't know if that's true or not. I also read that you can get it from a spam email. I think I did open one a week or two ago because the name looked similar to someone I knew but as it turns out it was spam. I don't know how I got it and I can't fix it. If someone could give me specific instructions on what to do I would greatly appreciate it. I am not a computer whiz so please keep it as simple as possible.

These are the programs I have run:

McAfee Anti-Virus (free trial) multiple times
Ad-Aware multiple times
Windows Live-one scanner multiple times

Then I saw a post that said run;

Malwarebytes (so I did) multiple times
Spybot multiple times

then someone told me it's the registry, so I tried (from cnet.com):

Registry mechanic once
Advanced registry optimizer once <---- these four I installed, ran, and then uninstalled
Wise registry cleaner once
Eusing registry cleaner once

and now my computer at home is presently downloading and installing ( I hope) AVG anti-virus so I can try that one.

thank you in advance

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 March 2010 - 08:31 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users