Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hd trouble

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

hi.
anyone know why chkdsk runs at every boot up, it used to be every 3 or 4 boot ups, recently i get msg saying hd is about to fail but that has stopped and wdh data lifegaurd diagnostic software says that it fails the spin up test but passes an extended test

thanx mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Well...if it cannot spin up, it cannot operate properly.

I'd take all those messages...as an indication that you can expect it to fail anytime.

Chkdsk runs at boot when it detects file system or hard drive problems which it can try to overcome. It cannot overcome everything.

Louis

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

thankyou.

can anyone make a more insightful/meaningful comment....would be appreciated

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

If you're getting messages that the hard disk is about to fail and you still can access the data thereon then BACK UP ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT DATA IMMEDIATELY. As in right now, this very second. Don't even finish reading this message. Back up NOW.

The message you are receiving at boot time is a critical message from the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, or S.M.A.R.T. which is built in to all modern mechanical hard disk drives.

This message, in concert with the invocation of Windows chkdsk at each boot is indicative that the hard drive is teetering on the brink of complete failure and that data corruption has already begun.

Edited by Andrew, 30 March 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#5 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

i was thinking to do that but as i stated the critical message about failing has stopped. in addittion the extended test says "pass"

no noise or vibration on hd is present

i understand that low voltage can cause a spin up test failure

thanx

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

Two moderators are saying that the drive is in danger of imminent failure.
I agree.

I would SERIOUSLY take their advice and back up your personal data while you still can.
Then replace the drive
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

i dont deny that is good advice [i finished the backup yesterday] but that should not stop a person wanting to understand the problem and making an informed decision. Anyway the first comments made by Louis don't exactly inspire confidence.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Two moderators are saying that the drive is in danger of imminent failure.
I agree.

I would SERIOUSLY take their advice and back up your personal data while you still can.
Then replace the drive

I concur with this statement wholeheartedly.

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Western Digitals DLG test are not infallible. If SMART is enabled in your bios it is looking at the cumulative error rate in a fairly long list of functions. The short and long tests do test specific functions though and if your system is pulling low power at boot up (power supply under powered or damaged, there is a chance you have accumulated enough errors to trigger the SMART warning. If it is under warranty, WD will take it back for the SMART error count. If it is not, then there is no reason not to spend 50.00 on a new 500g.

With WDDLG and the older WDdiagnostics "show smart data" is a menu choice. If any of the "indicators" show "1" in the warranty column, you should replace the drive even if it still passes the long and short tests.

Also WD and Seagate diagnostics will read any kind of drive for the smart data, not just those made by them.

If you replace the power supply and you stop getting chkdsk each boot I would still not use the drive for important data unless it is mirrored with another disk.

#10 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

thanx, found that interesting/useful. the info was much appreciated. will also check the warrenty status. got a new washing machine 4 the wife last month so no reason why i cant have a shiny new nd [lol]

mark

#11 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

afte backing up the hd i formatted it and the chkdsk np longer runs at boot up, that just leaves the problem of the spin up failure, does anyone know if there is a conclusive test for this type of problem before i shelve it 4 good. theres no vibration/bearing noise and its not under warrantee

#12 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

can anyone comment on my question above pls, or say if its not a resonable question
thanx, superqaz

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

afte backing up the hd i formatted it and the chkdsk np longer runs at boot up, that just leaves the problem of the spin up failure, does anyone know if there is a conclusive test for this type of problem before i shelve it 4 good. theres no vibration/bearing noise and its not under warrantee

Just replace the drive.

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

i agree just replace it.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#15 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

done a while back...i'll live with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users