Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro sp3 wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

i have a computer i am trying to fix for a friend and it wont boot. its an older dell latitude with a p3 processor 256mb ram and 60 gb hdd. when you try to boot it goes to the windows screen sits for a couple of minutes the a gray screen for a couple more minutes then bsod with this error message.
stop c0000218 registry file failure
the registry cannot load the hive(file):
\systemroot\system32\config\default
or its log or alternate it is corrupt, absent or not writable
she doesnt have the original cd and the hdd doesn't have a recovery partition it is xp pro sp3
i have an xp pro sp1 cd but i dont know what she has on the computer and don't want to loose her data if she has any
any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If that doesn't work try this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545&sd=RMVP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rayj0054

rayj0054
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

thanks going to try this when i get off work

#4 rayj0054

rayj0054
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

first off thanks budapest for the reply and the link. i got home from work and tried the recovery consol and it hangs at 58%. i went to the link but im gonna use that as a last resort is there any othe command i can use to get the chkdsk to run

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

If chkdsk won't complete then it may be a hardware problem with the drive.

You should try running a diagnostic test on the drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 rayj0054

rayj0054
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

after i got off work i tried a chkdsk /p and it completed but with errors i tried thd r and it didnt complete but the computer booted im going to download a diag test for her hard drive this evening and try to make sence out of what ive done so far thanks for the help

Edited by rayj0054, 31 March 2010 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users