Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Goes Out At Random Times

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hey BC,

A friend of mine has a computer where at random times, the connection will go out, and then come back on from anywhere between 10 minutes and 6 hours. I went over there, and replaced his wireless network adapter. That did nothing. I tried an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, along with ipconfig /flushdns. Those bring back the connection for around 10-20 minutes before going out again.

Windows Vista is reporting in the Network and Sharing Center that the computer is connected to the network, yet there is no internet. And it's strange because all of the other wireless devices connect to it successfully without any problems.

He wants me to call his ISP to handle it. However, I have a feeling that they will just tell me to do the above before giving up. Last time I called their ISP, they referred me to the manufacturer of the adapter, which had a rude agent that could not help me.

I'm possibily thinking that the problem is his computer, but I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

Do you have any ideas I could try?

Thanks!

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

When you replaced the network adapter did you also uninstall and reinstall the drivers for it? Is the location of the specific machine on the edge of the device's wireless range? Does moving it closer resolve or change the timeout issue?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

There were no drivers with either device (one was USB and the other was Ethernet-based). Both were plug and play. The adapter is in a den of a house, and AT&T installed the router in the basement. Moving it does not resolve the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users