Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect to l.yimg.com, Can not access Yahoo.com - redirected to l.yimg.com

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanF.

DanF.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

I had this very same problem with a Customer's computer: Safari wouldn't load yahoo and stalled when trying to pull info from l.yimg.com. So I installed Firefox. And it worked...for about 3 weeks. Then it quit. Same thing. So I installed Chrome. No access. 3 browsers, same machine, no access with the "connecting to l.yimg.com" flag in the corner.

As I was surfing for answers, I found one post that mentioned SonicWall 2040 as the culprit. We're running a SonicWall TZ210w at this site with the Comprehensive Gateway Security settings in place--including AntiSpyware. When I turned off the AntiSpyware piece, all of the browsers blew right through and brought up yahoo with no problem.

My final solution was to set the two IP addresses I found associated with l.yimg.com as allowed and I turned on the AntiSpyware function again.

I'm not sure as I didn't spend a lot of time on this, but my suspicions are that something being delivered by Yahoo from those servers is seen as spyware. If someone could verify this, I'd appreciate it...If you're having problems getting access to Yahoo AND you're running some type of spyware tool, turn it off or disable and report the results.

Dan

Edit: Split topic from older post and moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. Split from topic URL in this topic description for reference. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Can you post your specs and what browsers you have used?

#3 DanF.

DanF.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

This was on an iMac running SnowLeopard. Safari was current release (of 2 months ago); Firefox upgraded to 3.6; Chrome is recent Mac beta.

SonicWall is a TZ210W running firmware 5.5.1.2e with CGSS.

If you want more info, I'll have to get it when onsite...

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

I would remove Sonicwall from the configuration temporarily and see if its a sonicwall issue.

#5 jackmor

jackmor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

A friend of mine had the same problem 9n Vista Home Premium and I discovered that some spyware/malware (Internet Security Essentials) had modified the hosts file to block access to anything yahoo or google.

It was necessary for me to delete the profile that had been created by the malware and then use a command prompt in windows safe mode to modify the contents of the hosts file as well as it attributes.

It took some doing and I don't think I can describe the total process I used, but that certainly was where the problem was located. (hosts file)

The malware had actually created two copies of the host file, one in the usual c:windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and the other in d:windows/system32/drivers/etc/host and both had been hidden-read only-system attributes applied.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

Some information regarding l.yimg.com : http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=whois&host=yimg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users