Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista stops responding & I have to manually power off/on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amythyst

amythyst

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Started last week, I went through my Programs and removed ones I don't use or were installed accidentally (i.e. this McAfee quick scan that was installed when I updated Flash). You know just a little spring cleaning I guess. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but I believe that same night my computer froze twice. Each time I had to manually power off the computer, give it a minute, then power it back on.

The next day, I end up doing this every 20-30 minutes due to this computer freezing up. I'm not running a lot of programs, in fact the most I'm doing is browsing the internet (facebook, gmail, etc). Alt-ctrl-del doesn't do anything. The mouse will still move for a little while, but I cannot click on anything. FWIW, I have a laptop which has lights on the front edge that show the power, hard drive, wifi, battery and bluetooth. The hard drive busy light either flashes constantly (not normal I don't think) or is not on at all (especially when its frozen).

Another thing I noticed is that Windows Defender had been MIA for while (perhaps due to another AV I had been using?). After restarting one day it is suddenly in my tray and is trying to scan even though its not set to scan until 2am (which I then changed to 5am). When it started scanning, my computer would freeze, so in an effort to troubleshoot a little bit, I disabled WD and removed it from the startup folder/menu. I'm currently using Panda Cloud Antivirus which says there are no security problems.

I installed and tried to scan with Spybot S&D, but of course after 30 minutes or so, the computer freezes or stops responding. Kind of a waste of time I guess.

After the computer freezes, I hear the fan kick on. Now, my laptop isn't hot, and like I said I'm not running but maybe 3-4 tabs in my browser (which I have experimented with using different browsers to see if that might have been the issue: IE, Chrome, and now FF).

My Geek Squad friend suggested it might be an impending hard drive failure.

Anyway I'm not really sure what to do next seeing as I get about 30 solid minutes of use before I have to shut down and reboot. Any feedback or ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

What you have described can be associated with over heating. Can you provide the system name and model number as well as serial number so we can have a better idea of the system we are messing with.

#3 amythyst

amythyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

What you have described can be associated with over heating. Can you provide the system name and model number as well as serial number so we can have a better idea of the system we are messing with.

I'm not sure what all you want/need, but I have a 2 year old Dell Inspiron 1525, running Vista 32-bit.
Model # from back of laptop: PP29L

Does that help?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

How are the ducts in the back?

#5 amythyst

amythyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:13 PM

How are the ducts in the back?

They are clean. I can feel the breeze of the fan.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Does the lap top feel hot?

#7 amythyst

amythyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

Does the lap top feel hot?

No, when I am just browsing the internet (like I am now and I am doing the majority of the time) it does not.

Last night I booted into safe mode to run Spybot S&D, and it worked until the last 5% or so of the scan. The computer got hot at that point.
It would not boot into safe mode today. Last night there was only one error that came up in Spybot. It said Microsoft.Windows. Security.InternetExplorer and was some sort of registry change.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Is this still under warranty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users