Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cntrl+alt+del & error 17 Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Williams

Josh Williams

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:32 AM

Gonna make this quick and to the point.
I built my own computer and it has been working for years.
I have 2 hard drives. On the Toshiba HD, I have ubuntu and 7. On my WD, I have Vista and most of my program files. Just earlier I wanted to install XP SP3 off a cd I have onto the Toshiba drive. It said that a previous version of Windows was found and that this install would overwrite the other (win 7). I then changed the path of the XP install to /win/XP (default was /WIN). Since I have done that, I am getting a cntrl+alt+del error on boot when I boot to the WD drive and an error 17 when i boot from the Toshiba drive. I am unplugging the other drive when I boot from a particular one.
Does this have to do with jumpers on the hard drives? I went into BIOS and changed order of HD boot but obviously same errors. I really messed it up when I installed XP to /WIN/XP. IF I could, I would just go delete the folder and hope it would work but I cannot even boot to the drive. Any ideas?

evga 780i mobo
4gb RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have a notebook that has XP and Vista on it. I had to load the XP first, then the Vista. I imagine that is what is happening to you.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...screenshots.htm

Here are some links to both XP first and Vista first.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Yes you messed up the boot.ini file and your master boot record.

You can execute a repair by booting to the Windows installation disk you want as the primary operating system.

Choose the repair option or R

Then once you get to the command prompt:

Type the following fixboot then hit the ENTER key.

Next type the following:

fixmbr then hit ENTER

Exit and reboot.

Hope this helps.

By the way, while using the command prompt you can access the drive and use the delete command on that folder you named Win/XP The del command does the same thing.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 March 2010 - 12:35 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

You might also want to try using Easy BCD to adjust your Vista/Win 7 bootloader.

Once the Vista/Win 7 bootloader files are installed...it's dominant and I don't believe that XP commands like fixboot will have any value, unless there is no Vista bootloader involved.

Louis

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

You might also want to try using Easy BCD to adjust your Vista/Win 7 bootloader.

Once the Vista/Win 7 bootloader files are installed...it's dominant and I don't believe that XP commands like fixboot will have any value, unless there is no Vista bootloader involved.

Louis

Yes you are correct, that command won't work in that case, however if Windows XP is the default boot OS then that command will work.

Since the Windows XP Boot.ini will load first in this case.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users