Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM 4 GB 800MHz or 8GB 667/533

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dboy32

dboy32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

I have an Intel MB that will take 4GB of 800MHz, or 8GB of 667/533 MHz or RAM. If "More is Better" then I need 8MB, but speed is also important, so 800MHz is the one. For me this is a problem. Comments, and suggestions appreciated.
dboy32

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

What O/S?

The question is moot if you are running 32-bit XP or 32-bit anything...4GB is the useable.

I cannot imagine doing anything that would require 8GB of RAM in 2010, on the systems that I have. I only do mundane things that any computer made in the last 3 years (except maybe netbooks) can handle easily with 4GB of RAM.

What I'm asking (indirectly) is...what do you intend to do that would benefit from 8GB of RAM?

As for speed...depends just a tad on the motherboard and what it likes, IMO. My boards would favor the 4GB of PC2800.

The ultimate answer will probably be...personal preference, but I cannot see how having more of slower RAM could be beneficial...when talking about 4GB compared to 8GB. If you were comparing 2GB to 4GB, I think I'd go the other way...4GB is (IMO) significantly better than 2GB.

Now...I've confused myself :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

What all do you do on your computer?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

The speed difference isn't that severe. Few applications take advantage of all 4GB, and unless you're running some very high-end games or programs, 8GB would be overkill. Remember, you also need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users