Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

not sure where to post this so if this is the wrong place sorry !
i am tryinging to help a friend with their problem ! heres the problem .

after a few hours of the cpu being idle the windows security alert icon appears in the task bar. when i click on it it states that the firewall and windows automatic updates are off. so i press recommendations and then enable, it states it cannot do that from here and go to control panel which i did and went into those two items and both were showing on?? but showing off in the security alert?? when this alert is showing i cannot surf any web sites nor use any email. in order to get this off task bar i have to reboot cpu and then all is well until the cpu is idle again for a few hours. here is a list of what i have done so far with no success.
1. unchecked the three items in the security alert program ( will manage these on my on)
2. disabled windows security alert
3. ran antivirus, spysweeper and trojan guarder (system is clean)

any help on this subject would be appreciated. thanks

running win xp home edition with sp2 and all other updates.

thanks for replys !!!!

this is what they have done so far !!

ran housecall - nothing
ran mcafee avert - nothing
ran a2 - nothing
ran panada active scan - found gaobot.akr.worm (disinfected)

then i went to the start (run) services.msc and disabled windows security. left cpu running over night ( without be connected)

got same results as before. eventhough alert was disabled (icon was not showing), once connected to internet i could not surf any web sites nor use email until i rebooted cpu.

still at a loss as to what is causing this. hate to do a fresh install of win xp (and lose all info)

thanks for all the help and it is appreciated even though i still have this problem.

Edited by flashh4, 17 September 2005 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log here.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe-mode Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip

or

DrWeb CureIT

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner

Also install and run A2 Free and Ewido

I'd also run Spybot and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt"

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic