Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer sporadically reboots

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

This machine will reboot at random intervals. There are no telltale signs of it being something like the power supply or a system overheating - such as it would happen after x number of minutes being used.

I've seen it happen once. I'm fairly sure I saw an error code on the screen just before the screen went black and rebooted. Where can I find this error code? Should I be looking for a dump file? Or is there another place this error could be likely recorded?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

Event Viewer may give a clue.

I would check there,first. :thumbsup:

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

Long series of bizarre errors. Most of them repeat twice or more, so I'll only throw up a sample of each.

ID: 1003
Error code c000021a, parameter1 e18d03c0, parameter2 c00000005, parameter3 7c9106c3, parameter4 0052f06c

ID: 10010
The server {string of numbers and letters here} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

ID: 58
Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe" on line 22

ID: 59
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

ID: 4321
The name "NCU :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 10.18.1.115. The machine with the IP address 10.18.1.112 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

(WTF? 112 is another workstation. It's not a server, it's not anything special in the domain. It has a similar name - COMP03 vs COMP06, for example - but how can a workstation deny another computer a name on the domain, when it is not a domain controller?)

ID: 8009
The broswer was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently beleives it is the master browser is COMP03.

COMP03 is 112 on the domain, and comp 115 is COMP06 - the one that keeps rebooting.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

I don't understand much of this.DnDer.

Hope an expert can decifer for you.

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Google will be my close friend until then. :thumbsup:

Thanks for at least looking!

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

RE: 8009
This MS knowledge base article tells me "This problem occurs if the subnet mask of the Windows NT client computer is incorrect or different from the PDC. The client computer attempts to promote itself to the master browser of the subnet and fails."

IP is statically assigned, by me. I've checked my subnet and DNS servers. Everything is correct. So, that one must have been corrected by someone else in the department.

On to the next one up the list...

#7 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

RE: 4321

Microsoft says this is an issue with the netbios name. So, I've changed the netbios name with netdom utility, after installing the SP2 support tools (even though we're running SP3).

Time to keep working my way up the list.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

What Operating System are you using?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

Try uninstalling SP3? See what happens? Before that follow the below? SP3 has heaps of problems.

Be prepared to reformat and reinstall? Save all your Data, on reinstall DON'T install SP3.

tg1911, it is obvious that XP is the only one with SP3 involved just now?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 02 April 2010 - 04:37 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Moved to the XP forum..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

As a start...

Download BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Double-click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

You might also Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

I would be concerned about the 21A STOP error.

From http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Louis

#12 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Since security is no longer guaranteed, Louis, I'm going to nuke the drive and start from scratch on that one. Solving the problem would be a good learning experience... But because this is a work computer, I have to sacrifice learning for security. :thumbsup:

Unless you thikn I should go and get those blue screens, just to make sure?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

Well...I can tell you this...if I ever received a STOP error which aroused my concerns about system security...I would clean install and be concerned about any financial data, etc. which I might have had on the system.

I would do the same thing if I knew that my system was infected with one of the truly malicious malware items which produce the same result.

Nothing short of that could restore my confidence in using that system.

To me...that's analogous to leaving home for a month and realizing at some time that I've left all doors and windows open for anyone to utilize.

Learning is nice...but computer security is more important, IMO.

Louis

#14 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks. Wipe and install it is, then. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users