Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kaspersky problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:36 AM

I recently attempted to install Kaspersky AV 2010 on my desktop. Due to the instructions being printed in Thai, I was unaware that I had to be connected to the internet when doing so, in order to convert the enclosed 'serial number' to an 'activation number'. So the program was partially installed, but not activated. Now, however, it still gives me pop-ups (stating that attempted scans cannot be done because the system was not activated, etc. etc...) and apparently fights with my other AV program, Avira. I cannot uninstall it, and I( cannot do a system restore. Attempts with such programs as SoftwareRemoveMaster are useless, and the Windows uninstaller is pathetically useless. I cannot do a system restore, and the unit is running slowly. How can I go into registry and delete this troublesome item?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:11 AM

Have you tried RA uninstallers from here - Also why on Earth were you attempting to have 2 Antivirus programs running - Remove the Avira first and then try to remove (or complete installing) Kaspersky -

EDIT - You can install 1 running Antivirus and 1 on demand antivirus (like Dr Web Cure It) plus you can instakk several on demand Anti Malware programs (like Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware)

Edited by noknojon, 30 March 2010 - 03:16 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2010/install?qid=208280246

Louis

#4 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:58 AM

Have you tried RA uninstallers from here - Also why on Earth were you attempting to have 2 Antivirus programs running - Remove the Avira first and then try to remove (or complete installing) Kaspersky -

EDIT - You can install 1 running Antivirus and 1 on demand antivirus (like Dr Web Cure It) plus you can instakk several on demand Anti Malware programs (like Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware)

noknojon,

First, thanks for the help and responses. I had AVG, deleted it before I installed the Kaspersky, then when that wasn't working, I didn't want the unit unprotected, so I installed the Avira. I know one should not run two such programs simultaneously, and I hadn't intended to do so.
I also thought the Kaspersky program may perhaps have been able to be removed by CCleaner, but it didn't work either, although it did seem to remove part of it. I even tried to use sdelete (secure delete) thinking that if I just wrote over the files remaining it wouldn't function. It worked on a few of the files but not on others.

I followed your suggestion about uninstalling the Avira, and tried to uninstall the Kaspersky again using its own uninstaller......no luck...Next, I downloaded the #17 "kavremoval10" tool from the site you gave, and unnzipped it on this unit (laptop). I saved it to a CD, got it into the desktop and after a few tries with that 'code' display, got it to run. The Kaspersky seems to be gone. Everything is still dragging in terms of speed, (especially when I right click anything) but I'll defrag it tonight and see what happens.

Since I was also unable to do a system restore lately, I may try that too and see if it helps.

Thanks very much for your time and guidance. It is truly appreciated.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 01 April 2010 - 04:32 AM.

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

I had some AV problems recently, thought I'd gotten them cleaned up, but when I went to do a system restore, I found that the 'D' drive was marked as being 'offline', and I had not done this. When I right=-clicked it, the settings button refused to 'activate'. When I try to run an Avira scan of the drive, it says that it scanned 11 files, nothing was found and then it just stops scanning. When I open 'My Computer' and click on the 'D' drive, I'm told it is not formatted and asks if I want to format it.
Also, when I first turn on the computer, I hear some 'beeps' as though Avira has found some problems but I don't get the pop-up windows asking to select an action.

1) How can I restore the 'D' drive to action?

2) Should I uninstall the Avira before attempting any fixes?

3) The Avira is also continuously showing a small window showing "The system is being scanned" but it is at 100% but will not shut off. Could this be being caused by
whatever is 'holding my 'D' drive hostage?

Edited by elise025, 02 April 2010 - 04:31 AM.
Merged this post with this topic to avoid confusion ~ Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users