Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inability to Update Windows and other programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SlopDoG

SlopDoG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:01 AM

EDIT: Sorry guys, forgot to mention, all computers are running Windows 7 (except my android phone of course).

Hello everyone,

Generally, I do not have problems with my computer. However, visiting home from college for the weekend I have run across a strange phenomenon.

First, the symptoms were purely browser based. And do to inability to describe effectively, it will be displayed in the screenshot below:

Posted Image

This started to become an annoyance, popping up on virtually every webpage (not in a row, but every now and then). No matter what the site, at random times, it would pop up, rendering the webpage un-scrollable (if that's a word)...I would then be forced to reload to webpage just to be able to scroll down. Yes, you can press the 'X' button and the box will go away and the site will un-dim, but scrolling will no longer be an option. Furthermore, if you press allow, it attempts to download a file, from varying sources (no I never allowed it to install nor completely download).

At first, I thought nothing of this minor annoyance, until I proceeded to check up on my mom's computer, and my sister's computer. Both of their computers were suffering the same symptom (all connected to the same wireless network).

Naturally, I tried to run antivirus scans...which worked as usual, the only problem was, they would not update definitions. This became a pattern (on all computers). Microsoft Security Essentials, Malewarebytes, Windows Update, SuperAntiSpyware, etc. However, I proceeded to tether my phone to my laptop, and was able to update through that connection. When scanned with updated Malewarebytes and SAS, nothing crucial was found and the symptoms continued while connected to our wifi.

So this issue has me at a loss. I have tried seemingly everything short of formatting every computer, however, the widespread common symptoms lead me to believe this is not a problem with any one computer. Am I wrong?

Below, I will show more screen shots to give a basic idea of the problem if I have not made myself clear.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I am unable to reach certain sites...Malwarebytes site in particular.

-------------------------------------------------

Failure to load malewarebytes on laptop while connected to wifi
Posted Image

Failure to load malewarebytes on Android phone while connected to wifi
Posted Image

Failure to update malwarebytes while on wifi
Posted Image

Windows Update fail
Posted Image

Windows Update Troubleshooter Fail
Posted Image

Edited by SlopDoG, 30 March 2010 - 01:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Error Code: 732

This error is referring to Malwarebytes not being able to access the internet. There is a possibility that Malwarebytes sees Internet Explorer as being set to "work offline". We need to change this. We also need to check your proxy settings.

First, Open Internet Explorer ( even if it won't connect to the internet ). In IE7 or IE8, you should see "Tools" in the upper right hand corner.

Click on Tools and look for "Work Offline". It should look like this:

Posted Image

If you have a blue check mark next to "Work Offline", please click on "Work Offline" until it resembles the picture.

You may also want to check your router and be sure it hasn't had it's DNS entries changed from what your ISP provides to something else.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 SlopDoG

SlopDoG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

I checked with Internet Explorer, and it is not set to work offline and proxy settings are fine (as shown in screenshot below). Also, my DNS settings seem fine (obtain automatically, as they have always been set).

EDIT: Opps, didn't see that you had said DNS settings on router. That could be a problem due to the fact that I do not know what they were set to prior to this problem. But I will check it when I get the chance and update this message then.

Posted Image

I apologize for the slow responses. They may be slow because I am no longer at my parents house and now back at college. So everything I do has to be instructed via telephone or Skype screen sharing and, of course, all that is dependent on my parent's/sister's schedule and, now, my class schedule.

Edited by SlopDoG, 31 March 2010 - 08:10 AM.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

I'd like you to remove and reinstall MBAM from your computer using mbam-clean.

mbam-clean.exe can be downloaded from here.

Once this is finished, please reboot and once again reinstall Malwarebytes.

Scan for Spyware/Adware

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version and save it to your desktop.

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
---------------------------
Be sure to re-enable your AV and malware scan tools if they were disabled
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 LoriB

LoriB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

You may also want to check your router and be sure it hasn't had it's DNS entries changed from what your ISP provides to something else.

Pardon the intrusion on your thread SlopDoG but it may help you and others...

techextreme... You rock!!! :thumbsup:
I had the exact same thing happening and after reading your post about checking my DNS entries, I did just that. Found out that they had both been changed to 93.188.162.95 & 93.188.161.78 which is an organization called Promnet, LTD in the Ukraine!!!
I changed mine back to my correct ones, rebooted, and was able to do all the downloads and updates that were all blocked before. Not sure if it's gone for good and I do plan on submitting logs but I am thankful to have my computer back without the Microsoft internet tool popups and Clicksor ads on every page.
Thank you so much and everyone should check their DNS entries that are having this problem. :flowers:

#6 SlopDoG

SlopDoG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for confirming that was the problem LoriB. I will check that when I get the chance. It would make perfect sense, because here at school I am having virtually none of the problems I was having at home with updating and the Microsoft popups shown in the first post.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

techextreme:

Sorry for the delay, by hour I meant day :-p!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3930

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

4/3/2010 8:13:58 AM
mbam-log-2010-04-03 (08-13-58).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|)
Objects scanned: 188084
Time elapsed: 58 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by SlopDoG, 03 April 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hello, since techextreme is unavailable over the weekend, I'm taking this one over for now :thumbsup:

Besides suggested steps, try also the following:

Click Start > Run and type the following command in the runbox and press enter.

cmd ipconfig /flushdns

Please let me know how things are behaving now.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users