Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you rate HD's by brand and type?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

For years I have sworn by Seagate.
Now I'm starting swear at 'em.

They say "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Over many years this is my first bad Seagate drive...

New 500GB Momentus started showing errors after two weeks. Ran Seatools for dos every month for 3 months with new errors being found and fixed. 5th time I cussed a lot and sent it back.

How good are the "refurbished" drives they send back under warranty?
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

Like with anything we buy today there is always the risk of getting a cracked egg in the egg carton.

Drives that pass inspection at the factory endure a lot of abuse during shipping, no matter how much foam peanuts they pack the boxes with.

When a box of drives is strewn about, those read/write heads inside those drives are bouncing about clashing into the platters left and right.

If you seen how those drives were handled during shipping, you would be amazed they even worked at all!

Just my two cents worth. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:28 AM

All hard drives die eventually. Assume any hard drive you have will completely fail tomorrow, and plan accordingly.

Once errors start to show themselves, replace the hard drive ASAP. Waiting 3 months makes no sense.

This is the way I do it. Hard drive fails, buy another new one (if I am lucky I will have one on the shelf). Either use an image to clone the new drive, or do a reinstall depending on circumstances. Send in defective drive for RMA. When the refurb makes it back, either put it on Ebay or Craigslist. I don't trust refurbs.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users