Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 wont find my IDE 500 GB HD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hi,

I've recently purchased Windows 7 64 bit and I like the look and general feel of it so far. I'm not sure that it's living up to all the hype though. IE seems to be running slow opening windows and going between the tabs.

I'm sure that my PC isn't the problem. I have a dual corp with 4 GB RAM. But I'm certainly willing to hear anyones advice on how to make my PC work better.

Anyhow, the problem that I want to address here is that Windows 7 isn't recognizing my IDE 500 GB Hitachi HD. I would like to know how to correct this situation? Thank you.

PS Anything else anyone can tell me how to get more our of Windows 7 I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

I see in your topic on the other forum, the hard drive is recognized in the BIOS. Have you added a drive letter in Disk Management? Without a drive letter, it will not show up in My Computer (you can "hide" a hard drive by removing it's drive letter, as well).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Further to what keyboardNija said it could be that the slowness is a result of the PC trying to reconcile the drive identified in the BIOS.
If things speed up after you try keyboardNija's suggestion that's it - if not see what applications are being started up and stop anything not essential.

#4 Bill1821

Bill1821

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

I see in your topic on the other forum, the hard drive is recognized in the BIOS. Have you added a drive letter in Disk Management? Without a drive letter, it will not show up in My Computer (you can "hide" a hard drive by removing it's drive letter, as well).

After you have a drive letter outlined above this will probably be seen as unallocated space- if so then you need to make one (or more) partitions. (giving each partition it own drive letter.)

If you still have slowness problems then it is quite likely your apps- for example: do you have two or more real time virus programs running at the same time?
Need more info.......

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice and you happen to be right, it was just that the drive wasn't labeled with a letter. Stupid me didn't even notice that.

It is my backup drive that is why I have been concerned. I don't want to go to long without things being backed up.

I'll have to give it a little more time to see if my PC is running any different though. On first observance it seems to be a little perkier, a little more living up to what Windows 7 is tooted to be.

The entire drive is recognized too, no problem with unallocated space or anything, just my backup drive with all it's backupness.

So, thanks again.

Edited by Johnz414, 30 March 2010 - 05:11 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

You're welcome. :huh:

Sometimes it's something so simple that we don't even realize it. I prefer the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid). Always check the obvious things first, then go deeper, if need be.

And yeah, if you have any more performance problems, create another topic here in the Win7 sub-forum with a descriptive title, and we'll see what we can do. (posting about it in this topic would only create confusion).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure that it's living up to all the hype though. IE seems to be running slow opening windows and going between the tabs.

Some Antivirus programs, such as Symantec/Norton and AVG will slow web pages from loading.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users