Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to wireless network Error 651

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jen626

Jen626

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

I recently moved my office desktop computer from the office to my home. I have the computer all set up but I can not get it to connect to my wireless network. I put the password in and get a box that say "Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)" and then in a minute I get a screen that says Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error. I never had any problems connecting to the wireless network at the office with this computer, nor am I have problems connecting my other home computers to the wireless network here.

The office computer has Windows 7 Home and an Nvidia wireless card installed, which according to Device manager is working properly, and again, the computer had no problems connecting to the wirelss network at my office. However, listed under Network Adapters is also something called Teledo Tunneling Pseudo Interface, which has the yellow triangle exclamation point and when I click on properties it says This Device Cannot Start (Code 10). I don't know if that is related or not since I never looked at the Device Manager before these problems started. Disabling this device does not fix the problrm.

I have a D-Link router connected to my main home desktop, with a WPA network set up which I am able to use on my laptop without any problems. The office computer can see my wireless connection but cannot connect to it for some reason. I have tried the Windows troubleshooters with no luck.

Any ideas about what is going on? I don't know much about networking so it could be something very simple.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

Try making another wireless connection for home. Using the same wireless connection you use at work is probably the issue.

Is the computer now going to be your home PC and not used for work?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Jen626

Jen626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

No, it will still be for work, justin a home office setting.

The way I am trying to connect is by looking at the available wireless connections and selecting my network. But when I do that, and enter the password and everything it gives me that error 651 and says there is a problem with the modem. I am not sure what you mean by making a new connection? Sorry, i am terrible at networking stuff and new to Windows 7. :-(

Edited by Jen626, 11 April 2010 - 02:04 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

I recently moved my office desktop computer from the office to my home. I have the computer all set up but I can not get it to connect to my wireless network. I put the password in and get a box that say "Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE)" and then in a minute I get a screen that says Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error. I never had any problems connecting to the wireless network at the office with this computer, nor am I have problems connecting my other home computers to the wireless network here.

The office computer has Windows 7 Home and an Nvidia wireless card installed, which according to Device manager is working properly, and again, the computer had no problems connecting to the wirelss network at my office. However, listed under Network Adapters is also something called Teledo Tunneling Pseudo Interface, which has the yellow triangle exclamation point and when I click on properties it says This Device Cannot Start (Code 10). I don't know if that is related or not since I never looked at the Device Manager before these problems started. Disabling this device does not fix the problrm.

I have a D-Link router connected to my main home desktop, with a WPA network set up which I am able to use on my laptop without any problems. The office computer can see my wireless connection but cannot connect to it for some reason. I have tried the Windows troubleshooters with no luck.

Any ideas about what is going on? I don't know much about networking so it could be something very simple.

Thank you!

Reading back to your origional post, I see you are using PPPOE, this connection type requires a user name and password for loging into your ISP, it is usually used when you are connecting via DSL.

This setting is used by the router to connect to your ISP, you do not however need this setting to connect to your router, if your network card is configured this way, it is setup incorrectly.

Your wireless connection should be named, then the wireless access's SSID should be entered and then the password, after this you need to supply your WPA pass phrase exactly as you have it set up in the router, you may have to enter your routers configuration to confirm the connection if you have the MAC address feature of the router enabled as a secureity feature.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 April 2010 - 06:44 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Why are you using a PPPoE connection to connect to wireless?

This is for Vista but its the same for Win 7, will show you how to set up another connection for your home network.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

MMM.. lovely link spamming on a 7 year old post

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users