Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

driver updating programs/tools

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

I came across program called "driver agent"... it basically scans you system and creates a pretty in-depth list of every driver in your system its current release version, if it is outdated and link to download the newest version, but they want to charge you 30 bucks for the program.
do these type of programs actually work? Is there one that anyone recommends( preferably an open source free version : )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

do these type of programs actually work?

They may, but:
1. There is no reason to pay for anything, you can download for free
2. Updating drivers in bunches is not recommended. In fact, you should update a driver, if there is something wrong with it.

Are you having any issues?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

not sure about issues, but isn't it generally better to have the latest drivers ?
These scanning tools pickup drivers for things like usb universal host controllers , PCI express root ports, things i have no idea how to check or find updates for, is it just BS?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

Surely, some other people may have a different opinion, but my philosophy in case of drivers is: "If it ain't broken..."

If you insist, go to your computer manufacturer, or to device manufacturer website and see what they got. That's free.
One thing for sure. Never update more, than one driver at a time, because, if you do and something goes wrong, you'll never know, which update was at fault.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

good advice as far as updating one at a time. my concern( real or not) is that there MAY be drivers that will help my machine run better.
this machine is a bare-bone that was upgraded, not a manufactured.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

I agree with Broni that one should never update a driver unless there is a problem with the device the driver is for.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

I always keep my drivers updated, on every computer I use. Makes them run much better, and when I need to upgrade to a newer service pack. I know I will not run into any issues. Microsoft urges everyone to make sure all their programs are updated with the latest patches and they also urge people to update all their drivers to assure a clean upgrade path to a newer service pack. If you fail to do the aforementioned, your computer could become unresponsive and not usable. I have ran into this on numerous occasions. I upgraded from no SP XP to XP SP1 and got a BSOD. The fix for that was to flash the BIOS to the latest.

So I highly recommend keeping your computer well maintained, updated, and patched it will give you better service.

Edited by cryptodan, 30 March 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

<<Microsoft urges everyone to make sure all their programs are updated with the latest patches and they also urge people to update all their drivers to assure a clean upgrade path to a newer service pack.>>

That was certainly true with Vista and ensuing SPs...I can't say that it applies to XP.

Microsoft has always encouraged users to be current with security-related critical updates and patches.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installsp2.mspx

Some of the OEMs (HP for one) came out with specific directives to update certain drivers before XP's SP2...because the HP software would not otherwise work properly. I suspect other vendors did the same, for the same reason. That did not happen with SP3, as far as I can tell.

Since SP3 is the last for XP...it won't happen in the future either for XP users.

Louis

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Also, there is a significant difference between security patches and updates, which should be always applied and drivers updates.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users