Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to download sites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hsemple

hsemple

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

To become compatible with a sslvpn site, I was asked to install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)as my cable company software "ShawSecure" by F-Secure was not recognized by the vpn server. So, I ran uninstall, then tried to download MSE but the computer could not connect to the Microsoft download site even though the browser (Firefox) was working fine. MS Explorer was also unsuccessful at downloading the software. Thinking the Microsoft site was down, I tried a mirror site found with google and successfully downloaded MSE. But it could not connect to update. Then I tried to find some other antispyware and antivirus programs to download, but each time, they were either blocked from downloading or if they downloaded, they were blocked from updating. So because the computer was vulnerable, I tried to reinstall the Shawsecure program. I was successful and it updated. However, when I conducted a full scan on my C drive, it stalled after scanning several hundred thousand files. I telephoned Shaw internet support and they had me run an on;line scan with Shawsecure. That finished successfully but did not detect any malware. I think it missed something. How can I find out? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hsemple

hsemple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Also, I just caught a suspicious message...how do I show you the screen dump? It has a title Windows Internet Security in a yellow dialogue box. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users