Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 photocatcher

photocatcher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have some questions about external hard drives. I have gone online to find the answers to my questions but I could not find the answers that I need.

Here they are: What is the difference between a “Portable” and “External” hard drive? I asked the guy at OfficeMax and he said it was the size and that a portable is smaller than an external hard drive. As I was looking at them they looked about the same size to me. Is there an advantage of one being better than the other?

Is a Portable faster or slower to copy information from your desktop hard drive than an External Hard Drive?? I looked at the HITACHI SimpleDrive III box but there was no information as to what speed the external hard drive was. Is there a speed difference between the two?

Can you password protect an external hard drive so that others can not see the information that you have on it?

If you know of any links that would be of help to me I would appreciate them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Portable Drives vs. External Drives

There are two different types of stand-alone storage products: those aimed at maximum mobility, and ones that cater to high capacity or performance. High performance external storage devices increasingly connect via eSATA to alleviate the aforementioned USB 2.0 and FireWire bottlenecks, and some models even implement RAID technology to increase data safety, performance, and capacity.

In contrast, portable drives for mobile users don’t have to provide maximum performance, but they need to be light, small, and flexible. All of the drives we tested can be operated via the power provided by a USB 2.0 port, so they don’t need an additional power supply. They do not get hot, and they’re more than acceptable from a noise standpoint.

However, their style, software bundles, usability, and warranty differ a lot.

More: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/portab...e-hdd,2272.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 photocatcher

photocatcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Broni thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I do appreciate it.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users