Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 st.artherius

st.artherius

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi,
Logging in after a long time. Having a huge problem. But am not being able to find out the exact cause of failure. Was pondering since the last few days as to what to do. Don't wanna waste my money taking guesses and buying things without being sure of it. I will try and describe my problem as accurately as possible. Here it goes:

I shifted to a new house and wasnt using my computer for a few months. It was packed. After about 5 months finally got my PC back. I detached my HDD(250GB SATA) before shifting and was using it in different computer's(friends). It used to have a problem with the HDD, it was not able to play anything directly from the HDD when connected to a different SATA port in a different computer. Whenever i played a song or a movie, the computer would slow down immensely and the video would get stuck often or not play at all or keep getting stuck after every few seconds. I dint pay much heed to this as i was able to watch them when i copied it over to the primary drive.

After i got my PC back and set it all up, i used my HDD to start it up, but it simply wouldnt start up! There's absolutely nothing on my screen. The BIOS does not come up either. So i am not able to check if it is detected in BIOS either, which would let me know that my HDD is causing the problem. However, i tried turning the computer up with everything except the HDD and i was able to get into BIOS.

So does all this mean that it is indeed my HDD which is the cause of problem or the Motherboard or something else. Not to mention, i tried using the Integrated Video too without any avail. It not the Video. Hell, if anybody can confirm if this is indeed the HDD, i could just go ahead get a new HDD and backup the damaged one as it able to read when it is not the primary drive.

Any help would be great! Thanx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

If the hard drive currently works properly as a secondary drive in a different system (files can be seen and accessed), it's not the drive.

...and vice versa.

Even if the hard drive is dead...the system should boot or you ought to at least be able to go to the BIOS or get some onscreen error message.

My favorite suspects in such cases...start with PSU or video card/chip....but that's just my approach.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hi, I have a few suggestions that might help you.

There is a possibility that something became unplugged when you removed and returned the harddrive to it's drive bay. check all power wires including the one coming from the PSU to the main board.

Make sure none of the riser cards have eased their way up out of their expansion slots.

Make sure the rear power switch located on the PSU is set to on.

Make sure your monitor's video cable is properly pluged into the video port.

Make sure wires are not preventing any fans from spinning.

Try those and if all fails post back and let us know.

Best regards and good luck. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 st.artherius

st.artherius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

If the hard drive currently works properly as a secondary drive in a different system (files can be seen and accessed), it's not the drive.

...and vice versa.

Even if the hard drive is dead...the system should boot or you ought to at least be able to go to the BIOS or get some onscreen error message.

My favorite suspects in such cases...start with PSU or video card/chip....but that's just my approach.

Louis

Its not the Video Card, thats for sure. Coz then both add-on and integrated wont go out at the same time. At least i dont think so.

#5 st.artherius

st.artherius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hi, I have a few suggestions that might help you.

There is a possibility that something became unplugged when you removed and returned the harddrive to it's drive bay. check all power wires including the one coming from the PSU to the main board.

Make sure none of the riser cards have eased their way up out of their expansion slots.

Make sure the rear power switch located on the PSU is set to on.

Make sure your monitor's video cable is properly pluged into the video port.

Make sure wires are not preventing any fans from spinning.

Try those and if all fails post back and let us know.

Best regards and good luck. :thumbsup:

I have tried these steps. Thing here is if i try to boot up my computer without the HDD, everything works fine. It goes to the message that Boot Device is not present. So that means its not an issue with the Video. But im not sure if it is the PSU.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Even if you had a hardware problem, you would still be able to at least boot to the CMOS chip's boot screen, it would then halt from that screen.

When you power up the computer, is there any indication that power is getting to any of the hardware?

Does the fans spin?

Does the optical drives lights light up?

If those answers are No, then you have a PSU issue.

If it is Yes, then the problem has to do with the motherboard and something that is not correct, such as the power connector is not fully connected.

Does your processor fan spin? These are usually powered directly from the motherboard's power circuits.

If answer is No, then your power connector to motherboard is not connected properly.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 st.artherius

st.artherius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Even if you had a hardware problem, you would still be able to at least boot to the CMOS chip's boot screen, it would then halt from that screen.

When you power up the computer, is there any indication that power is getting to any of the hardware?

Does the fans spin?

Does the optical drives lights light up?

If those answers are No, then you have a PSU issue.

If it is Yes, then the problem has to do with the motherboard and something that is not correct, such as the power connector is not fully connected.

Does your processor fan spin? These are usually powered directly from the motherboard's power circuits.

If answer is No, then your power connector to motherboard is not connected properly.

The fans spin, even the Optical Drive blinks. And the HDD also makes the sound that its working or trying to work.
My processor fan spins too! When i tried to boot up my computer with the HDD in the first and second tries, i did go into the Chipset screen. Not the BIOS tho. It was taking too much time to get into BIOS. I am not sure, but i think it even went in to BIOS once. The connections are fine. Also there is a slight change in the tone of the color of my screen when i turn it on. But if it is a case of the Motherboard or PSU not working, would it work without the HDD in the computer? It works ablsolutely pefectly when the HDD is not connected and then asks for a Proper Boot Device, although!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users