Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp m1070n Needs Sound Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yesterday my computer suddenly started sending error messages stating that it can't find any audio device installed on my PC.
I'm gonna try uninstalling and then reinstalling the audio drivers later tonight to see if that'll fix it. I'm gonna assume that the sound card is fried. I've had problems for a while, like when I plug in my microphone/guitar I would only get sound from the left speaker no matter which mic input I used. I don't know very much about choosing a new sound card that'll fit my comp and perform like I need it to. BTW, I do alot of audio recording/processing. Not really looking to spend a fortune, but not going cheap either. Below is a link to the specs of my computer. If anyone, especially someone with a lil experience with audio recording (Cakewalk, Steinberg, etc.) could recommend a good sound card I would be extremely grateful. Now for those specs you might need:

HP m1070n Specs

Furthermore, I'm running XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2, 1gb of memory. HELP! HELP!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:16 PM

Before going through all the effort, and expense, of getting a new card, make sure the card is broken and not the speaker/mic/or other peripheral. That said, there are a number of choices when it comes to PCI audio cards. I stay away from Creative cards or anything with the X-Fi audio chip inside due to past business practices from Creative.

We will start off at the high-end and work down.
ASUS Xonar D2 - This is a high-end pro-sumer card aimed at music creators or audiophiles. It comes with all the Dolby technologies built in. This is a great card for anyone working with music or home theaters. I have one of these cards.

ASUS Xonar D1 - This is a step down from the D2. It has many of the same features, but some of the higher-end stuff, like the interference shield and coax inputs, are gone.

HT | OMEGA STRIKER - This is very similar to the D1, it even uses a similar audio processing chip, but has a few more connectors for the same price. However, it does not have all of the Dolby technologies the Xonar cards have.

DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71DDL - A more basic card using a mid-range C-Media chip. This card features plenty of connectors, but doesn't have many Dolby stuff built in. In terms of audio quality, this is a step down from the other cards listed.

Turtle Beach RIVIERA - This is a simple, basic card. It's a little better than the on-board stuff.

On a side note, even with Windows XP, I suggest a little more RAM. Your system has four RAM slots, each capable of holding 1GB of DDR-400 (PC3200) RAM sticks, as it says here.

Edited by DJBPace07, 29 March 2010 - 11:17 PM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

Good to see a list without any Creative stuff on it.

I was going to second the Riviera as a low cost replacement.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the help guys, but I managed to fix the problem last night, and now "it's all gravy". It took about 2 hours to figure it out, but here's what went down: First, I tried enabling Windows Audio, RPC, etc. in the "Services" section, but no luck even after rebooting. Second, I uninstalled the audio drivers and then re-installed them and restarted. When I restarted I hit F1 to enter the BIOS and while I was in there I restored it to the default settings, saved the changes, and then rebooted. As soon as it fired up there was SOUND, BEAUTIFUL SOUND!!! Not sure why resetting the BIOS fixed it, because I've never made any alterations to it. But, what the hell, it worked! Looking for a sound card would have only been a waste of time as I discovered that the m1070n has onboard audio. Thanks again for the help, and I hope this will help someone out there with the same problem I had.

#5 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

WTF, just when I thought I had it fixed, I fired it up this morning and it started shooting the same "no audio device found". Replacing the audio card is outta the question as it does have Realtek onboard audio. The only way I would be able to add a sound card would be to get rid of the video capture/tv tuner card. Any other ideas on this one guys? I'm soooooo close to taking it out in the yard and pumping it full of buckshot! Just kidding. But, "if ya can't fix it, kill it!"

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

You can add in a sound card from the list above. Just because you have on-board sound doesn't mean you cannot use a different audio card. That's what I do, just be sure to disable the on-board in the BIOS before using the new card. There should be three PCI slots inside the computer for you to use. If all are occupied, you could always get a USB TV Tuner and free up the slot, though that would be more expensive.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users