Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with movable curser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hello again
I have a Gateway FX6710 running Win 7. today I updated my Kodak AIO ESP9 printer. Shortly afterward on a restart I found that Outllook 2007 would not startup, an error message popped up stating it was unable to access it in so many words. I went and did a sys restore to yesterdays date. It went through the process of restoring and then shutdown. On the restart it went to the initial startup and stopped just short of my welcome page. All it showed was a black screen with the curser which was movable. I tried safe mode but did the same thing. I read something about tapping the shift key 5 times to bring up a Sticky Notes box asking if I wanted it to startup. That did bring up the Sticky Notes box.
. No matter if I selected yes or no for Sticky Notes to start I still can't get past the black screen.

Any ideas??
The computer came with Vista but shortly afterward did clean install of windows 7 64 bit

Thanks
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

Through the F8 key and accessing system Restore I was able to get the computer back up (although it took a few tries). Still having issue with Outlook 2007 not starting. I could use some help in repairing it and or saving my profile settings :huh:

Posted Image

Thanks
Tom

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

Tried doing a Office Repair via Programs and Features?

#4 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thank you cryptodan, Unfortunately that didn't work. I have it set to automatically start but can't remember how I did it
Tom

#5 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

It worked :huh:
I had to do an Outlook Office repair first thanks to you :huh:. Although it didn't resolve it at first it did let me add an Outlook.exe file to my desktop. Before the repair it was grayed out. Once I had the shortcut on the desktop I then had to add a string to the "Target" box which allowed Outlook to work

[space]/resetnavpane (where [space] is the space character).

Thank you again and have a great day
Tom

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic