Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open downloads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenprotheroe

kenprotheroe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

My query. For all suggested solutions to many avenues that I have posted my problem to on the web, the

answered results terminated with downloads (all seemingly complete) but I cannot open any - (typically to / from

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware , and including all incoming Email attachments etc. etc.,)

Additionally, I cannot open any updates (typically to C.Cleaner, GoogleEarth and so on). This

problem I have, I tried to (un-successfully) rectify for some weeks. It now so happens that much that I

use on my computer is now running out-of-date.

I did post the problem on Yahoo! Answers and noted that "Surely there must be another way to resolve

this impasse without going thru the download function, only to find it impossible to open any" ? The question

has not todate been answered. I use the computor, privately, a lot - but I am by no means computer literate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

Last AV scan you ran...and what AV program is installed?

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow command?

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Have you examined Event Viewer for errors that might provide clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

System manufacturer and model?

What error message do you get...when you try to open any download?

What other anomalies...are evident on your system?

Are all critical updates installed?

Louis

#3 kenprotheroe

kenprotheroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thank you hamluis, I have just observed your response (16.00 hrs GMT).

I will work thru what you have posted and in due course inform you of

the outcome.

Regards, Ken Protheroe.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

Do you have enough drive space?

#5 kenprotheroe

kenprotheroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi luis, in the following I make the endevour to work thru your queries, but may I repeat that I am not computer
litereate and in what I note I will have misconceptions re. your statements. Frankly, the whole issue is becoming
so intricate (to my untrained thought) that I see my ultimate move to place this computor with all the involved maladies
in front of an IT professional - with all due apologies and thanks to you. However to proceed - I attempt to enumerate
your lined queries as follows.
1. Last AV scan - just about every day. Installed - Avast! Anti Virus, plus Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Microsft Security Essentials,
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, ca/yahoo! Anti-Spy and Windows Defender.
2. Running sfc/scannow command? Yes, a few moments ago. Sfc.exe - do not have Windows XP Inst. disc. Running
sfc/scannow command, under Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP, then fix system 32 errors. How to fix DLL errors, duly downloaded
but cannot open.
3. Examined event viewer. I do not comprehend how to do so - a full-stop.
4. How to use event viewer - right pane, checked for errors - there are many + some warnings so right clcik on 1st error
& then on properties, then left click on Security for- 1,735 events & click on system category, for numerous errors.
(Which makes me feel the worst of possible outcomes and a complete loss in my ability to follow your resolve).
That avenue of checking I then terminated.
5. System Manf. and model. Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack #3. Registered to Ken.
Computor AMD Athlon™XP2400+ 2.00GHz, 512MB of RAM.
6. Error message, none after scanning 100% and then "opening" does not occur, anytime.
7. Other system anomalies ? Apart from taking a long time to get onto the net (after an overnight switch off)
it can take mebbe 30 minutes to log onto Yahoo! I have the Talktalk phone and Broadband service.
8. Are all critical updates installed ? All, BUT only up to the point when installing the updates became totally
impossible to any !

I think that you will agree that due to the circumstance of my lack of computer comprehension that your further
labours would be wasted.

Cryptodan, I have at least 70% of drive space.

Thank you, Ken Protheroe

EDITED to remove license data ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Thanks.

If you think it's best to take your system to a computer shop...I don't argue with such. It's a lot easier to try to solve problems...when the system is right in front of you...than having to rely on user details and cooperation, IMO.

But many computer situations can be overcome by users who want to try to solve it themselves, using advice/suggestions from those who are afar.

Go Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Post what is reflected for System Manufactuter and System Model, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users