Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDTV Locked Up After 1st Time Hooked Up To Comp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cwbys4evr

cwbys4evr

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

I bought a computer on Friday (Windows 7, 2G Ram, 300 G H/D) and today I hooked it up to my Westinghouse HDTV for the first time. It worked great, so I hooked up the sound via the headphone jack to the TV's PC Audio jack. That also worked great. Trouble is, after I shut down the computer (leaving the monitor and audio cables hooked up to the TV), I had no audio when I tried to watch cable. I unplugged the PC audio from the TV, still no joy. So I power cycled the TV and it locked up. I had to unplug the TV in order for it to turn off correctly. When it came back up, it was fine.

Is this a TV problem or a Computer problem? Did I do the wrong thing by shutting down the PC while it was still hooked up ?

Dare I try this again for fear of my TV blowing up? I wanted to use this TV as a part time computer monitor with wireless keyboard and mouse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

This is only a suggestion and does not mean I have encountered this problem. But it gives you something to look into.

There may be an on-screen menu related to your television set, where you have to use that menu setting to return the audio back to the television's built-in audio amp which is carrying your telecasted program's audio signal.

Try checking the television's owners manual for the on-screen menu layout.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cwbys4evr

cwbys4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

I think it has to do with the Autosource feature of the TV. Autosource only works when the device you want to autosource is powered down to start with. The Cable box was already on, and since there is no selection on the menu (that I can find) to select an audio source, the TV was unable to pickup the DVR's audio, then it just got PO'd and quit. I'm going to try this tomorrow using what I think is the right sequence, and see what happens.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

OK please let us know how things work out, I wish I had a quick solution for you, but sometimes just having two heads or more working together, brings up a solution one way or another. :thumbsup:

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cwbys4evr

cwbys4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

Update: I tried it again today and it worked just fine, switching inputs from PC to the DVR, and back. It probably had something to do with how my extremely non tech daughter switched it, or probably it was because she got in the vicinity of computer equipment lol. Anyway, it works fine, at least to all current indications. Thanks for your replies.

Just as an aside, the whole reason I'm doing this, and I didn't bring it up before because I didn't want to creat confusion with unnecessary information, is that my laptop "crashed". I say crashed loosely because in foolish anger I purposely tossed it on the ground (sitting, not standing) and it failed to boot up after. So I bought the tower from "this dude" for a couple hundred dollars and a IDE/SATA to USB adapter (still waiting on it) from newegg so I can (fingers crossed) copy some important files over to the desktop. I'm hoping that when it landed the only part of the drive that was damaged was the part with the boot files, so perhaps the desktop pc can see it as a storage drive and I can recover some important items. Meanwhile I have some old IDE drives I would love to be able to get family photos from. I'm only mentioning this because I've never tried to recover data via this means and I might be asking for help later. The current condition of my computer is: hooked up to the TV as monitor, Ethernet cable plugged in to my router, and I just received my wireless keyboard and mouse before leaving for work. So the last piece of the puzzle is that adaper.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hmmm. I think we all get a little ticked off from time to time, but we tend to make our situations worse, then we cool off and realize we caused irreplaceable damage to the things we're closest to the most.

Maybe I can suggest keeping a punching bag nearby for the next time when things get rough. LOL

Anyways, best of luck to you with whatever you do!

#7 cwbys4evr

cwbys4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Argh! It's doing it again but now I have a more accurate description.

The problem lies when you turn the tv on. It hangs up during the boot process on the manufacturer logo screen. Unplugging the tv corrects it but I'm a stickler for turning the tv off at night and unplugging it each and every time is not a good solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users