Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sjd

sjd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Running Windows XP on a Compaq laptop.
Realtek Ethernet card running under a Motorola cable modem and Linksys router
The wireless button at the top of the keyboard will not turn on even after repeated and/or sustained pressing.
An error message says Cable Disconnected. Unable to connect to Internet.
The Modem and Router are working properly since I am able to use a different laptop with its ethernet card.
The device Manager for the RealTek says it is working properly (but of coure it is not)
Question: could the Wireless Button have shorted out? Is the ethernet card damaged? Is there some donloadable diagnostic I could get?
Appreciate any help

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Would you have a cable plugged into the wired Ethernet port at the same time? It might seem like a silly question but I had a Laptop that would disable the wired when using the wireless and would disable the wireless when it was plugged in.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users