Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CleanUp Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

My daughter's laptop is invected with CleanUp Antivirus and i followed the BleepingComputer tutorial on how to remove this parasite and everything was going alright i downloaded 'Hostsperm.bat'. I double clicked on the file but i couldn't find the file:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\Hosts
Could someone help me out here please and explain in easy/childish terms how i might find the above named file in order to delete it and then re-install the new hosts file. Thanks

EDIT: Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

Edited by Budapest, 29 March 2010 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hello , 2 questions please.
Are you running XP, Vista, Win7 etc? You need this to select the new Hosts file in the last step

If you meant the Hosts-perm.bat Download Link <<< Link
Click on the Link. Click Save.
In the Save As box that pops up be sure it is saving to the Desktop as the location.
then click save again.

Double-click on the hosts-perm.bat file that is now on your desktop. (a white box with gears on it).
If Windows asks if you if you are sure you want to run it, please allow it to run.
Once it starts you will see a small black window that opens and then quickly goes away. This is normal and is nothing to be worried about.
You should now be able to access your HOSTS file.

The HOSTS file
Click on Start then Run and type: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\
Delete the following file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Once it is deleted, download the following HOSTS file that corresponds to your version of Windows from step 18 in the Guide and save it in that C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder.

Note: there is another explanation with images here L@@K
Difference is where they say HOSTS.MVP and hosts.zip you will use the one you saved to your desktop. So move to Manual Instructions.

Edited by Grinler, 11 November 2010 - 11:19 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users