Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on cloning & DriveImage XML

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Re DriveImage XML tutorial .

I'm wondering if it's possible to restore the clone to a partition on an external hd and see if it boots/works?

For me to have confidence in cloning I'd have to be able to verify/test the clone. I'm not using the Norton Ghost 10 I paid for because I had trouble extracting a file on my trial clones.

I haven't read anything on booting from an ext hd, but it looks like my bios supports it on my "newer" [2005] computer. I haven't been able to find anything specific on how usb and usb cd boot works - how the bios finds the 1st sector. So I don't know if you'd have to image the 1st partition on the ext hd or if the BIOS would recognize it as a hd and since it's before the internal hd's in boot order, read its MBR and any boot.ini's.
Anybody know?

On my desktop I have room to keep a partition available to restore from a backup, change the boot.ini and see if it works. But I can't do that on my laptop or thinkpad.

If booting from an ext hd works and if it works via image, I'd need to keep the 1st partition of the ext hd free for clone tests. I think, I guess. I have to read the tutorial a few more times and see if/how Setting the new disk id works and whether you could boot from an image of a clone and have it work well enough to test.

I'm also meditating on how many compressed clones per computer to do at what times. If I could keep an eye on MFT fragmentation I might not need to keep a clone of the original install, just the one before the MFT starts fragmenting - if it does - + the latest. I guess the MFT could have some corruption w/out fragmentation- no idea how likely that is.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frerom

frerom

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hi Marybet82,
I don't have any answers but I also need more info on the program. I hope you don't mind if I add it to your post.

How much space do you need on the back up location. Is it the same as the drive that requires back-up. :flowers:

Following has benn added:
I checked the help and it appears that it shouldn't be more than 1 to 1 even less if you choose a slow option.

I still get the same error. "could not flush write buffer for E:HPclone\drive_Cdat: there is not enough space on the disk" This is after only 21 % of the imaging. The 2 drives are 70GB. the USB drive is using FAT32 and the C: drive is using FAT32. Could this be a problem? :thumbsup:

Edited by frerom, 08 April 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi frerom,

Maybe we better go post in the thread regarding DriveImage in the Tutorials Forum.
There is a tutorial on DriveImage and I posted [or thought I posted] in the Tutorials forum and then I found the thread for questions on Drive Image in that forum. I don't know if my post got moved or I didn't post in the forum I thought I did.

Anyway, your question might get noticed quicker in the thread on DriveImage XML in the Tutorials forum.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users