Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Device Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I've got a very confusing issue. I've got a Compaq v5303NR laptop that is having some issues with the 2 USB ports. I did a complete fresh load, loaded all the drivers with the most up to date I could find. Everything in the device manager is found, no yellow !. I can use USB mice and keyboards, but any other USB device shows up as "Unknown Device" in the device manager. I was really hoping a fresh load would fix this. I also updated the bios to the final release, but that didn't help this issue. I've scoured the MSKB for anything related, and followed all of their instructions to no avail. I've checked the permissions on the inf files, I've replaced usbstor system file. I seem to have hit a dead end. Does anyone have any experience fixing this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

What are these "USB devices" which are not recognized? Full descriptions, please (manufacturer and model).

Did you install drivers for such, where they are called for?

Louis

#3 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

I'm using:

4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro, I couldn't find drivers.
2GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro
novatel wireless "Verizon" USB760 cellular wireless adapter
B-S250U Hi=Speed USB2.0 Sata HDD enclosure
Generic USB to Sata/IDE

No drivers are needed for these (except the USB760) on any other xp installation. Like I said before, mice and keyboards work. Everything else comes up with "unknown device" in device manager. It doesn't seem to even try to find drivers.

#4 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Ok to close this. The ports on the motherboard are not getting the power needed.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

PCI USB 2.0 cards are cheap, reliable...thanks for the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users