Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP error Explorer.exe 0xc0150002 and XP now asking for a password for a user account that has never been setup !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 icedgem

icedgem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hi,

I am looking for some help please !

I am struggling with a family computer that i think may have been shut down during an update ?

It is a Intel Pentium 4 2.93 with 512 MB running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3.

Currently when you start up the computer it is going to the logon screen with the logon name filled in as the 'name of the computer' and asking for the password. No user account has ever been setup since the machine was purchased many years ago.

If you just click ok without a password it carries on with its startup until you get to the desktop when it pops up an error message :

Explorer.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.

If you click ok you then get left with just the desktop, no icons or start bar etc. You cannot use ctrl-alt-del either.

I have the same problem with safe mode.

I can however get a command prompt if i log on to safe mode with command prompt.

I have tried running the recovery console and logging on as administrator and trying to do a system restore but the box comes up and just hangs.

I am not sure what to do next and any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Many Thanks,

Icedgem

Edited by icedgem, 29 March 2010 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Worth a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822520

A number of different scenarios seem to result in this error message.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users