Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my power supply ok?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ezooone

ezooone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hello..I have problem with my dekstop recently..my computer always turned off automatically..when i turned on my dekstop..it will suddenly stop after 10 seconds (when windows xp's logo appear)..then if it manage go more than that..its still turned off automatically (after 1 minute)..so i have to turned on my computer many times! (more than 10 times when pushing the start button.. :flowers: )

anyway..when my computer manage to start normally without turned off by itself..it will operate normally..hmm..can anybody tell me what is the problem please? thanks.. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

Hi ezooone glad to see you again! :trumpet: But I am not glad to see you have encountered another computer problem. :flowers:

Hopefully, we can help you solve this problem.

I take it this problem has just recently started happening to you.

Can you please supply us with the make and model number of your power supply, while you are at checking this information for us, can you check the label on your power supply and post back the specifications listed.

Such as those listed under output.

Thanks in advance my friend. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

hehe..I'm glad to see you too.. :thumbsup:

Ok..I will give all the information to you right away..one more thing Mr. Bruce I forgot to tell you..I'm using 2 hard disk..one is 500 gb and another 1 is 150 gb..

#4 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

Here is the information that I can see on the power supply

- POWERLOGIC
- AC INPUT
Voltage : 230V
Current : 5A
Frequency : 50Hz
- MAX DC OUTPUT
Orange : +3.3V, 18A
Red : +5V, 25A
Yellow : 12V, 14A
White : -5V, 0.5A
Blue : -12V, 0.8A
Purple : 5Vsb, 2A
Grey : P/G, OK
- Magnum 250
500W (Max / PEAK Power)
250W (PURE / REAL Power)

#5 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:14 AM

well?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

Here is the information that I can see on the power supply

- POWERLOGIC
- AC INPUT
Voltage : 230V
Current : 5A
Frequency : 50Hz
- MAX DC OUTPUT
Orange : +3.3V, 18A
Red : +5V, 25A
Yellow : 12V, 14A
White : -5V, 0.5A
Blue : -12V, 0.8A
Purple : 5Vsb, 2A
Grey : P/G, OK
- Magnum 250
500W (Max / PEAK Power)
250W (PURE / REAL Power)

Well your power output is about 250 watts continuous duty cycle. What do you have for a graphics card? Make, model number and form factor please.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

I only have an integrated video card that come with motherboard..Mr Bruce..do you think that power supply is the problem? if yes should I buy a new power supply to solve the problem?

Edited by ezooone, 05 April 2010 - 07:43 AM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

OK from what I am understanding here by your description, sometimes the computer starts up and runs ok for hours and other times it starts up but shuts down on its own for no apparent reason, is this correct?

#9 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Yes it is.. :thumbsup:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

OK do you see any errors displayed on your screen when this happens?

If so can you please describe what you see, or what you are doing when this happens.

What we really need is a more detailed description of what is happening.

DO you see any errors listed under the Event log in Administrative tools?

If so, can you please describe a few of the errors?

Thanks in advance.

#11 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

Mr Bruce..sorry for the late reply..I really have problem with this computer to start..

well..I don't see any errors when the situation happen..but sometimes the computer will scanned the disk when I turned the computer again if it suddenly shut down..

What types of event log you want me to show you? (application? security? system? ACEEventlog? Antivirus? Internet explorer?)

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

Mr Bruce..sorry for the late reply..I really have problem with this computer to start..

well..I don't see any errors when the situation happen..but sometimes the computer will scanned the disk when I turned the computer again if it suddenly shut down..

What types of event log you want me to show you? (application? security? system? ACEEventlog? Antivirus? Internet explorer?)

The system event log, is one log you should pay close attention to, usually if there are problems, it will show up there, with the same error listed numorous times with a red circle and a X icon, if you click the event error, it should open another window with detailed information.

I suggest when you can get this computer to run you try downloading Blue screen view, this program will log all your event errors into one log.

Download BlueScreenView

No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

#13 Qwertyopz

Qwertyopz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

its prolly overheating those times. check if ur blocking the power supply fan or something. put it in an area where it is more open and not in a cupboard.

#14 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

I already run the bluescreen Mr Bruce..However there is no error detected..

About the system log..there are not many X icon..I can see only a few of the X icon and when i see those errors..I don't think that is the problem..it just regarding my antivirus that failed to update.. :thumbsup:

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

OK when is the last time you checked the inside of your computer for dust build up?

I want you to pay special attention to your processor, however before I have you going inside your computer, I want to warn you about damaging your computer with what is called static electricity.

Static Electricity from the human body is powerful enough to permaently damage the components found inside a computer, to avoid this from happening, it is recommended that you while you are working inside the computer, you keep one hand on the metal frame of the computers chassis, while working with the other one, I also strongly suggest you disconnect the AC power wire from your computers power supply and turn off any externally powered (have their own power supply) devices such as the monitor, printers, which are attached to the computer. This is done to prevent possible shorts or damage caused by static electricity.

Ok with those warnings out of the way.

I want you to remove the cover from the computer and examine the condition of the fan located on top of your processor, check to make sure it spins freely with your fingers, if it feels like its really loose or fails to spin freely, replace it.

Check the blades, make sure you do not have dust caked on the blades or the frame of the fan, if there is any, carefully remove it using an old tooth brush.

Check the heat sink below the fan, you may have to remove the fan to get a better view, make sure you put the fan back on the same way it was. Examine the fins on the heat sink for dust clogs, if there is any, remove it with the tooth brush.

There is what we called canned compressed air, which is sold in computer stores, it is used for blowing the dust out of the heat sinks and the computers case, you could get a can of this to help clean the computer out, when using this type of cleaning, I recommend you do not let the compressed air force the fans to spin, a fan spinning at this speed can create electricity like a generater and cause damage to the motherboard, use a pencil or your finger to stop the fan from spinning, while using compressed air.

Check all your fans out for dust and clean as needed, becareful not to disconnect any wires or plugs while doing this, recheck everything before attempting to restart the computer.

Make sure any power wires you unplugged are plugged back in, recheck everything again, for something you might have over looked.

Let us know if things are better after doing this.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 April 2010 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users