Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command-prompt newbie wants to expand .XX_ files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSGregg

GSGregg

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

When I loaded a game's .zip folder from a borrowed CD, and then extracted the contents, some files failed to
decompress. I found a Techzonez forum post in which the problem was solved by using command prompt (cmd.
exe); "type, expand filename.XX_ filename.XXX". It sounded simple enough but, being inexperienced, I looked
for a tutorial and wound up at Bleeping Computer. Although I tried to follow the screenshot examples, I kept getting
various admonishments:
'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,....
Syntax is incorrect for the command or something like that
The system cannot find the designated path

My target folder is C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsNT\pinball, but instead of the cmd opening to C:\WINDOWS as in the
example, mine opened to C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>....no matter how I tried typing C:\, C:\>cd,
or variations thereof, I couldn't change the directory (C:\ is not....). I only got the other warnings when I
mistakenly typed in all four or five 'expand' commands before hitting 'Enter'.

Then, looking over the tutorial again, I noticed the major difference between MS-DOS's and XP's versions of cmd.exe.
I opened the newer Help file and read about the Compact/u command; I failed to make real sense of it without
something to practice on, but I wonder if that's the way I should go? Neither list of commands included anything with
the word 'expand'.

Thanks for your lended 'ear'; hope this isn't too disjointed.

GSGregg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:16 AM

Why not just cd to c:\program files\windows nt\ and extract the files there?

#3 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

WHere did you originally expand the files to?

To change the directory you need to type the full path you want. Like this cd c:\windows\XXX

Depending on the folder you want. To change to the root of C you just type cd .. until you get the prompt to read C:\

To expand the files you need to type expand (full path where the files were extracted) c:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball\filename.xxx
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users