Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reload xp home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 larman

larman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

I am trying to reload xp home. I installed dells operating system disk which says it also has service pack 2 in it. I followed dells instructions to delete partition2 then create a new one. I did not have a partition2 only partition1 and i could not delete it. It said that there where files on it that needed to be used for install. How do i reformat my harddrive to start fresh? My computer is a p4 dimension3000 dell.
The windows xp home setup screen says C: partition1 (ntfs) 38154mb (35304 mb free) the next line says unpartitioned space 8mb. Xp home by the way is the latest edition. I just bought the computer. Unfortunately my hardrive physically stopped working and I installed a new one. I installed xp pro which I had on older version of it. After I loaded Dells driver disk my computer was coming up with frequent errors. So I tried reloading dells xp home disk, but I was not able to delete the partition1 and create a new one. It did allow me to install over the other os. It warned me that thier could be problems if I did that. It seemed to have worked but I am now having problems starting up programs the first time. Example, Internet explorer sometimes takes 3or4 tries to get it up. Then I check the taskbar and IE is running multiple times and none of them are responding to shut them down. Then sometimes only parts of the taskbar closes when I end it. I think that writing over the other os may be the problem. Should I clear everything and start fresh(format,partition,new os). If so, how do I do that.

Thanks, Larry

Edited by larman, 16 September 2005 - 11:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:05 AM

What you should do is boot with the Windows Disk,

The first blue screen you should see a screen that says

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

# Press ENTER. Then, Accept the license agreement. by pressing F8

then, you will see a screen that says...

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

# Press ESC. After doing this (or if that option did not appear), there will be a new screen that lists the partition that held the Windows XP installation, and possibly other partitions.

Typically, the Windows XP installation is on the C drive. There will be a line that looks like:

C: Partition1 [NTFS] #### MB ( #### MB free)

or

C: Partition1 [FAT] #### MB ( #### MB free)

Note: Make sure that the partition used by your existing Windows XP installation is selected. One of the options will be:

To delete the selected partition, press D.

# Press D.
Result: The screen will display the following message:

The partition you tried to delete is a system partition.

Additional text will appear, and the option:

To delete this partition, press ENTER.

# Press ENTER.
Result: The following option appears:

To delete this partition, press L. CAUTION: All data on this partition will be lost.

Note: The system partition, which may contain both operating-system files and your own personal files, will be completely erased. In Step 1, you created a backup of your files. You will restore from the backup in a later step.

# Press L.
Result: You will be presented with the option (among others):

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

# 8. Press C.
Result: A text-entry box with the following text appears:

Create partition of size (in MB):

This will be filled in with the maximum number of MB. Press ENTER to choose that maximum value.
Result: Additional text appears, including the following option and selected line:

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

C: Partition1 [New (Raw)] #### MB ( ### MB free)

# 9. Press ENTER.
Result: Four options will appear:

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition using the NTFS file system
Format the partition using the FAT file system

# Choose the third option and then press ENTER.
Result: The following message appears:

Please wait while Setup formats the partition

C: Partition1 [New (Raw)] #### MB ( ### MB free)

From there, Windows Will begin reinstalling (and you have deleted and reformatted the old partition prior to the installation...)

Hope that helps
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users