Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting with Win7 and WinXP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:29 AM

I've got 2 different HD's (one with Win7 and the other WinXP) for the same computer. Cloned the WinXP, then installed Win7 over it.

Is there a possibility of dual-booting these HD's so I can use programs that will only work with WinXP? Both are working by changing up the sata cables from one to the other and back again? This is getting old though.

If I'm not clear, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

How to Do a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

Good link.

If you removed one drive...while you installed Win 7 on the other...then you have two different boot files. One for XP on its hard drive, one for Win 7 on its hard drive.

If you had both drives in when you installed Win 7...you should already have dual-boot options, since the Win 7 bootloader (which is now the default) would have picked up the XP install on the other drive.

I believe a simple way of correcting this...would be to use Easy BCD to just add the XP install to your Win 7 boot files. I believe it's worth a look.

Of course...both hard drives must be installed at the same time for this to be effective.

Louis

#4 Andy Benn

Andy Benn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hi,

I'm have the same issue as Hawkeye4.

I have a new Windows 7 system but I can't get windows 7 to run Flight simulator X with my chosen add-ons.

As these programs ran just fine in Windows XP I wish to place the HDD from my old XP box inside my shiny new Windows 7 tower.

I've downloaded and run EasyBCD and pointed it at drive F: (where windows 7 sees my old drive) but I can't get XP to boot. It just takes one look at the drive and reboots.

I am aware of the issues around under installing a new motherboard on my XP disk (I followed the advice given here http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/...ng-windows.ars) and my XP drive is still bootable in my old box.

Any ideas, please as this is just drivin' me :huh:

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users