Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Okay I know this is not hard, but I can't connect with Remote Access.

Trying to connect a W7 to a Xp ser.3.

I checked firewall setting and Remote settings in the Xp comp, I make sure it has password.
Once I look for the I.p. Address in the cmd and type it into my W7 comp it does not allow connection.

I think it might have something to do with the Router but I go to the router settings, I type in "advanced connections" the I.P. of the computer that I want
to be controlled however it will not save the settings. Well it saves them but then it refreshes and there is no settings that I input it in.

I know its not hard but I can't figure it out. :thumbsup:

Sorry If I am to difficult to understand, I try to explain as clear as possible

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

When you say it doesn't allow the connection, does it give you an error message?

Can you ping the XP machine from the Win7 PC?

Not sure what you are trying to do in the router settings.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

On the XP computer on the remote tab did you add the user account you want to have remote access via the select remote users box?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

When you say it doesn't allow the connection, does it give you an error message?

Can you ping the XP machine from the Win7 PC?

Not sure what you are trying to do in the router settings.

Yes it gives me a error message something like: Windows could not connect to Computer. Contact your Administrator.

I am not sure what you mean by ping the XP to the Win7 PC.

In the router settings there are ports I can open or make sure that Remote Access is not being blocked by the Router.
I am not sure but as I was doing research it seems that in the router there is a option for Remote Desktop Connection by the ports 3389.

I don't know much about this area, but the little that I know makes me get very confused. :thumbsup:

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

On the XP computer on the remote tab did you add the user account you want to have remote access via the select remote users box?

No, I did not add the user account I want to have access to.

What I did on the Remote Tab is checked of the two Boxes. One that allows computer to be controlled, and the other that allows computer to control.

Thank-you I will try this suggestion, today. :thumbsup:

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Pinging the XP machine - On the XP machine click Start -> click Run -> type cmd and hit enter -> in the box that pops up, type ipconfig -> the IP address is what you are looking for. Go to the Win7 machine -> click the window button (aka start) -> in the search bar type cmd -> in the list right click cmd and click Run as Admin -> in the box that pops up, type ping <space> then the IP address of the XP machine like ping 192.168.2.2 and hit enter.

You are looking for "Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)" that line and it should look like that.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

So Once this happens can it log on? :flowers:

Sometime your guys knowledge is breathtaking for a starter :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 05 April 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:04 AM

What the ping will do is tell you if the most basic of network connection is there. If you can't ping to and from a PC then something is blocking it, a firewall or something. If you can ping to and from then its a permission thing, and those are a pain to track down lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users