Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 xTyD23x

xTyD23x

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hello,

Recently I have had trouble opening a program called Holdem Manager. This is a database program that tracks hands played at poker sites to let a player analyze their tendencies and the tendencies of others to improve their chances of winning money at poker. This program worked fine up until a couple of weeks ago when I did some cleanup on my computer (with the help of Bleepingcomputer). My computer is running great now, but for some reason when I open this program a box comes up prompting me to enter an Administrator username and password. It says that an Administrator needs to approve running this program at least once. I AM the administrator on my computer and I only have one user profile. Also, I do not have a password for Windows. I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates. I currently use Avast! Free Edition for AntiVirus and SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM, and SS&D for spyware/malware protection. I have tried disabling these programs along with my Windows firewall and the program will still not open without this prompt. I cannot figure out the username and password that will give me access to this program. It has never prompted me for this information before. I have also tried making the entire folder containing everything from this program shared for all users and I have tried right clicking the .exe file and choosing "run as" and unchecking the box that asks if I want to protect the program from unauthorized use. I contacted the company who makes the software and a tech actually went on TeamViewer with me and tried to fix the problem remotely. He said he had never seen this happen and it definitely isn't a prompt that is generated by the software. Any ideas what I could try next??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi xTyD23x -

Did you ask the "rep" from the software company if he would help you to uninstall and reinstall the program for you if it was "faulty" -
The onus should be on the company to either repair or reinstall the program (if it is the paid version @ $100-$150) -

Thank You - :thumbsup:
EDIT - Did you right click the program >properties > look to see if it has a block on it that can be unchecked -

Edited by noknojon, 28 March 2010 - 11:35 PM.

#3 xTyD23x

xTyD23x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

Yes it is the paid pro version and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and it doesn't seem to be a problem with the software. Something is blocking my access and the prompt is not from Holdem Manager, but from Windows or maybe Windows Firewall or Avast??? Not sure where it is coming from but I am pretty certain it is not due to a bad installation of Holdem Manager. I right clicked on the program and went to properties but I don't see any kind of block. Is that a feature that is added into this menu by some Antivirus programs or something?? I don't see anything under any of the tabs about blocking access.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

Hi Again -
If you think this is being caused by an internal problem , have you thought of posting back to the same area with HiJack Logs to see if they can find a fault , or were you told that your case was closed and they could do no more for you - If it is internal then there is a "switch" or another program blocking it - My reference of a block was more related to items that you download and at the bottom RHS in properties there is a box that you uncheck to allow the program to run (it was just a thought) -
Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 29 March 2010 - 06:46 AM.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hi xTyD23x,

Interesting problem. I reviewed the logs we made, and would be interested to see if lsass.exe is somehow hooked up. The file we removed from the LSP stack (the one that prevented you from connecting altogether), was shown under lsass.exe as well.

If you wish to investigate this, let me know, and I'll reopen the topic we had. I can't do that here, because the logs we need to create are not allowed here.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 xTyD23x

xTyD23x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

Yeah I'm not sure because I never tried to use this program as I would only run it when I was also running a poker client (which I couldn't do at the time). So I'm not sure if this is a new problem or something that was wrong before and we never fixed because I didn't even know about it. If you think it is something we can solve, I would appreciate you opening the other topic back up. Thanks for finding me on here again! This site is amazing!

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

I'll reopen that thread. Please reply there.

I can't promise we can fix it, but at least we can try!

To avoid confusion I am closing this topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users