Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

test esata port

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

ok I have a mother board that supports esata and I just recently got an esata HDD because it doesn't have USB 3.0 and USB 3 is expensive. any ways I am having some trouble with the drive. when I connect it to the esata port on the mother board it has lots of problems. but when I remove the drive and connect directly inside my computer its fine. I want to know if there is a way to test the port so I know if I need to return the enclosure or cry because my motherboard went out of warranty about a month ago.

Yes I custom built the external HDD bought a enclosure and HDD to put in it so taking it out didn't void any warranties.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:21 AM

Probably the simplest way is to find another computer with eSATA and try the enclosure on it. If it works fine then the motherboard eSATA port would seem to have problems, and vice vesa. There's no easy way to test ports & interfaces other than by using them under varying configurations and by a process of elimination, work out where the problem lies.

I assume the eSATA port is integrated onto the motherboard? If it's on a riser with a cable, the problem could lie there.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users