Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones messed up?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xun468

Xun468

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

I just bought a new pair of headphones about a week ago, and i either a) convinced myself that one side is quieter from sheer paranoia or :thumbsup: one side really is quieter. The only thing i can think of that would damage my headphones is that i wrap them around my mp3 player (4in lengthwise) kinda tightly, would that affect the wiring? My previous 2 pairs had the same problem, with the left sides not working at all. But one was old, and (apparently) the second one was defective somehow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

What kind of headphones are they?

If they're "ear bud" style with silicone cushions that go in the ear it's possible that the left side isn't sealing properly. You might try a different size silicone cushion for that side -- many earphones are packaged with small, medium and large sets. There's no rule that says both sides should be the same size. You might also try buying a set of replacement cushions made out of foam -- these work better for me than the silicone ones.

Of course, it's possible that you got a bad set. And wrapping them too tightly can definitely break the wiring connection -- they're usually not very strong.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Just a thought that I really hope does not offend you....

Pick up a telephone, listen to the dial tone with your right ear, then listen to it with your left ear. Will either rule in or out a partial loss of hearing in your left ear.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

Just wanted to add that yes, wrapping your headphones around your iPod/MP3 player can mess up the wires, but only if you leave them plugged into your device. If you take the plug out, and wrap them gently around it, they should be fine.

#5 Xun468

Xun468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

ah, thank you for the advice, and no, my left ear isnt screwed up :thumbsup: Mine are the earbud style, I'll try to switch the foam things.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Are they Skullcandy? If so, they have a lifetime warranty, I returned a year old pair that started having a popping noise in the left ear, and got a new pair in about 2 weeks.
http://rma.skullcandy.com/

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

I really did not figure it was your hearing, I only wondered since this is not the only set of headphones you have this issue with and it has always been the left side that you have the issue with.

Quite honestly, I have always found that the music on regular speakers for the computer, as well as stereo speakers, usually come through louder on one side than the other. I have been told that is the stereo effect because even though most sounds come through both speakers, certain sounds only come through one speaker while other sounds come through the other one.

I don't really know but maybe that is all it is with your headsets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users