Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thor83

Thor83

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hello I have huge problems with my laptop a Fujitsu Siemens Mobile V5535 specs below. My problems started when I tried to watch movies in fullscreen mode. The computer crashed when I went to fullscreen mode. After 1 week my computer crashed straight away when I booted up Windows. So I formated the drive and reinstalled everything.
As soon as I installed the grafic drivers the computer started crashing again. So I reformated and skipped the grafic drivers. This let me use the computer for 2 more weeks then the crashes started again and now I can't even get to login screen. Sometimes it crashes during boot up before Windows have started booting.

I've cleaned it from dust and checked all hardware looking if anything is burned or so couldent find anything. I've started the computer when it's been cold for hours and then after the crash i've feelt on the hardware and none of the cards or the cpu is warm.

Would really appreciate help with this.

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2370 / 1.73 GHz
Graphics: SiS Mirage 3+ Shared Video Memory (UMA) 256MB
Audio: Realtek ALC268

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

How are you powering the laptop when the crashes seem to happen? Battery or AC adapter powered?

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away?

Seems to me we have a driver conflict or hardware failure taking place here.

Also you mentioned that you skipped the video drivers during one of your windows installations, it could be that windows took it upon its self to load a driver anyways.

You might want to nose around in the laptop's BIOS settings to see if anything there is not configured right.

When you cleaned out the inside of this laptop, you made sure the processor's cooling fins were lint free too correct?

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with laptops because of their portability and the abuse they endure during travels, you may have a cold solder joint that has suddenly decided to act up.

Just running off a few things you could investigate as the cause of this problem.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Your video card is dead/dying. Samething would happen to my wife's lap top.

#4 Thor83

Thor83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

How are you powering the laptop when the crashes seem to happen? Battery or AC adapter powered?

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away?

Seems to me we have a driver conflict or hardware failure taking place here.

Also you mentioned that you skipped the video drivers during one of your windows installations, it could be that windows took it upon its self to load a driver anyways.

You might want to nose around in the laptop's BIOS settings to see if anything there is not configured right.

When you cleaned out the inside of this laptop, you made sure the processor's cooling fins were lint free too correct?

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with laptops because of their portability and the abuse they endure during travels, you may have a cold solder joint that has suddenly decided to act up.

Just running off a few things you could investigate as the cause of this problem.

I've mainly ran it on AC power but i've also tried battery. No change.

Safemode doesen't do anything, still crash before it loads into safemode most of the times. I've checked bios settings and tried diffrent settings on gfx size etc and i've gone back to defaults, no change. Cooling fans are lint free, first thing I checked.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Your video card is dead/dying. Samething would happen to my wife's lap top.

That is what i've been thinking. Is it possible to fix something like that? I haven't seen any gfx card in the laptop so I guess its on the mobo? Is there anything to do about this or just buy a new laptop?`

Been thinking about taking it to a computer repair shop but that might be a waste of money maybe?

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

Yes, it's probably soldered directly to the motherboard.

But, you can install a secondary one...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/206670-3...ted-video-cards

I don't trust other people with my computer...I've heard too many PC shop horror stories of somebody's laptop being "different" or modified in ways they didn't expect...or the shop keeping Windows install disks that came with customer computers...and other things. I just don't trust somebody else with my computer unless I'm standing next to them, or I'm performing the actions myself with instructions from them (like this forum).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:37 AM

Its a laptop it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

A new laptop cheaper than a new graphics card? Not hardly...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

A new laptop cheaper than a new graphics card? Not hardly...

My wife's video card was 349 bucks at a whole saler website other places want upwards of 540 to 800 bucks for it plus the labor it would have costed someone to install it. So yes a new lap top is cheaper then a new video card especially if it is integrated into the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users