Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC is slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimandbear

kimandbear

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:16 PM

:thumbsup:

:flowers:

Hi,

My name is Kim and I have a "SLOW PC" problem. It shouldn't be slow because it has 84% free memory on it.

My PC info is as follows;

- e-machine/Celeron 2.66 GHz
- 504 MB Ram
- Winsows XP Home Edition
- Build 2600
- Version 2002
- Service Pack 1

I dont understand why its running slow and other times not.
Another question, when it is running slow, sometimes I will go into the task manager and end some processes that I'm pretty sure not needed.

Is this not good to do? (Why do I feel so completely blonde all of a sudden?) :trumpet:

Edited by jgweed, 16 September 2005 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

Although you don't really qualify what you mean by "slow" you hint that ending some processes seems to correct the problem. Having unneeded applications or program modules launch themselves when you boot up your computer is often a contributor to slowness (but not the only one); each of these programs take up small amounts of RAM and processing whilst waiting to do something (rather like tapping one's foot waiting in line).
As a user, you can control what launches on start up. I generally recommend using a tool that is included in Spybot S&Destroy to manage this, since it is easier and gives you more information than the simply using the Windows command line.
The process is simple. Open Spybot, click on "Mode" then check "Advanced" to get to the expanded options. Then expand "Tools" towards the bottom left of the Spybot screen. When you expand that (+ , -) you will find System Startup. What is set to start on boot is noted with a check.
I find the command line column very useful in figuring out what the shorthand name of the process actually is. If you are in doubt about whether an item is needed, not recommend to run, or optional, you can research it here on the BC startup database. Always be care to double check that the startup item is absolutely identical to the name you see in the start-up tool, since many programs have easily confusable names that differ only by one letter, or capitalization, or path on your system.
I think you will find some items, like RealPlayer, or MS Office quicklaunches fairly obvious, and you can make a decision about keeping those ( you trade of quicker boot for slower opening up the applications).
You may want to "kill" one or two items at a time (they will remain listed should you want to add them back) once you have prioritised the optional programs. (note: Spybot colour codes each startup application into legitimate, unknown/unneeded, and malicious; take these as a guide only and be sure to do your own research about each of the programs before you delete any).

Hope this helps,
John

Edited by jgweed, 16 September 2005 - 08:55 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

Hi Kim,
Here's a link to a windows XP Boot analyzer, u cud check out the trial version if you want
http://greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/.

Hope you are regular with maintenance on your system, some of the other things you could check out- updated spyware / virus scans, see if your drive is running out of space, if so, run a disk cleanup and defragment your drive. A badly fragmented drive can also be a reason for sluggishness as well as boot issues.
Couple of links on slow system troubleshooting-

http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

#4 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Hi Kim,
Here's a link to a windows XP Boot analyzer, u cud check out the trial version if you want
http://greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/.

Hope you are regular with maintenance on your system, some of the other things you could check out- updated spyware / virus scans, see if your drive is running out of space, if so, run a disk cleanup and defragment your drive. A badly fragmented drive can also be a reason for sluggishness as well as boot issues.
Couple of links on slow system troubleshooting-

http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

lets add:
cookies,pre-fetch files and temp files [not temporary internet files] to that list
cookies:
I.E.,tools,options,internet options,advanced,override,set for allow 1st party,BLOCK 3rd party.
now press start,my computer,disk drive ©,documents & settings,your username,cookies [right click folder,select send to,select desktop],open cookies and only delete those you do not want/need.
pre-fetch
start,my computer,disk drive ©,windows,pre-fetch,view,select all,file,select delete
temp files
start,my computer,disk drive ©,windows,temp files [right click folder,select send to,select desktop],open and delete everything but today's date
i'd suggest using CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/
uncheck both cookies and recycle bin BEFORE running. open options and move cookies from delete to keep,THEN anylize/run
much faster,cleaner puter

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

Additionally, after you are certain you are not infected with any malware, you need to install SP2 which is a critical update. Since you do not have it installed, and your computer seems sluggish, it is likely you have malware onboard.

The problem with blindly ending processes is that unless you are certain of what you are doing, you may be disabling your anti-virus and anti-malware protection as well as your firewall.

#6 kimandbear

kimandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:57 AM

thank you all for your advice. it was helpful...CHEERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users