Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant read cd-rw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimandbear

kimandbear

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

:thumbsup:

Hi,
My name is Kim and I am new to your help forum.

My problem is that the cd DVD Rom drive, (Lite-on Combo SOHC-4832K) on my PC, (e-machine, celeron, CPU 2.66 GHz 504 MB Ram; Windows XP Home Edition Build 2600; Version 2002; Service Pack 1...I hope thats all the info u need) wont read 2 types of brand new CD-RW that I just bought and wasted a lot of money on. THe first type is Sony CD-RW 4x - 10x 650 MB for high speed drive; and the second type is maxell DVD-RW Data-Video 1x & 2x.

I heard something or read something rather about a + sign and a - sign with rewritable and readables, however I'm not sure what the whole idea is around the disks. However, I do know now that not just any disk you purchase is going to work.

If my problem ends up being something like I purchased the wrong disks then I'll be choked at the two different sales people that assisted me and neglected to enquire about what type of drive/computer iI have. :flowers:

I appreciate any advice you can throw my way.

Again, hi all!

Thanks,

KiMMi :trumpet:

Edited by jgweed, 16 September 2005 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hello kimandbear and welcome to BC.

I found a Packard Bell Support Page that gives the specifications on that drive including the following:

Compatibility
Reads data in each CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-I, Video CD, Karaoke-CD, CD-Extra and CD-Text
Reads data in Photo CD (single and multi session)
Reads standard CD-DA
Reads and writes CD-R discs conforming to "Orange Book Part 2"
Reads and writes CD-RW discs conforming to "Orange Book Part 3"
Reads data in each DVD-ROM, DVD-R (ver.1.0, ver. 2.0 for authoring)
Reads and writes in each DVD-R (ver. 2.0 for general), DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW

Hope that helps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 kimandbear

kimandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

Yes it does. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

Your very welcome. Thanks for posting back. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users