Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

prospective opensuse user

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 isosoclese

isosoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hello

I missed out on the free windows 7 upgrade and my laptop is getting more and more frustrating to use. I have never used any linux software before and my computer knowledge is minimal. Would you recommend opensuse to a new user? What other distros are newbie friendly? Are there any difficulties in opening/creating/modifing word documents, excel, etc? I heard somewhere that linux software can work with a lightly damaged but more or less functional hardware, is this true?

Any advice/comments/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

Would you recommend opensuse to a new user?

I haven't used openSUSE in a while, so I can't really help here. If you still want to try it, my recommendation would be to download an openSUSE LiveCD image, burn it to a CD, and try out the OS. This can also be used to test if all the hardware is compatible with the OS.

What other distros are newbie friendly?

I've read that Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS are good for new Linux users.

Are there any difficulties in opening/creating/modifing word documents, excel, etc?

OpenOffice.org is pretty standard for Linux distros. It handles most, if not all, MS Office documents.

I heard somewhere that linux software can work with a lightly damaged but more or less functional hardware, is this true?

Linux is often used to recover data from damaged systems or fix an unbootable OS.

Edited by MadDawg, 28 March 2010 - 11:16 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

Can you post your system specs?

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

1) For new users Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and PCLinuxOS are good starting points. Try the Live CD's frist before installing the OS to your hard drive
2) OpenOffice.org (there is a windows version available) is usually the Office suite of choice for Linux users (there are other options available though)
3) Depends on what is damaged

Posted Image

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

personally, I love OpenSuSe, however, for a first time user, I would think not a good first choice, perhaps something to work up to. Choices like what blackspyder recomended would be better-like Ubuntu, Linux mint, PClinuxOS, or perhaps puppy linux though ive never used that variant, have heard its very user friendly. And depending on how damaged, yes linux can run on it, and I use it to back up data off of failing hard drives and virus infected drives all the time, however you should never trust a failing hard drive. just because linux is working on it now doesnt mean it will tomorrow-if your unsure run some diagnostics on the hard drive or hardware in question, and replace it ASAP. and trying the live CDs first is always a good idea, will give you an idea of whether your computer can handle it or not or whether or not you like that particular flavor or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users