Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open more than 15 files or more than 1 file type?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

(I'm using Home Premium with lots of resources.)

How do I get Vista to allow me to open more than 15 files (like twenty 100 kb jpegs) simultaneously?
and:
How do I get Vista to allow me to open more than on type of file (like a handful of jpegs and gifs) simultaneously?

Please note that this was NOT a problem with Windows 3.1, 3.11, '98, or XP!

F&C :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Help me out here, I've never heard this problem before. What is Vista doing when you try this? LOL i can conclude what it's NOT doing, it's not letting you open the stuff, but what does it do to express it's displeasure, lock up, crash, curse at you?

#3 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

Help me out here, I've never heard this problem before. What is Vista doing when you try this? LOL i can conclude what it's NOT doing, it's not letting you open the stuff, but what does it do to express it's displeasure, lock up, crash, curse at you?

Well, it's quite simple, really. (I'm writing instructions for everyone here, so please forgive me if they seem over-specific.) :)

For more than 15 files:
1) In Windows Explorer, find any personal directory with more than 15 files. At least 16 contiguous files must be the same kind (jpg, gif, tif, txt, whatever you like).
2) Click on the first contiguous file; press and hold a "Shift" key; click on the 16th to 20th file to highlight all of them (note that many average computers can open about 35 jpegs this way).
3) Hit "Return" or follow any other method you would 'normally' use to open these highlighted files ...
4) Scratch your head in confusion when you are given an error message or asked for "Print" options because Vista and Win 7 are only allowed to open 15 files--but Windows 3.1, 3.11, '95, 98, ... , and XP let the user open as many as he/she wanted. (If you want proof, I'll post Win 98 screen caps of this if you really, really ask nicely. If you clean my apartment, I'll post proof with screen caps from 3.1 AND Mac OS X.) :huh:

For multiple files of more than 1 file type:
1) In Windows Explorer, find any personal directory with more than 1 file. This folder must have at least one file of one type (jpg, gif, tif, txt, whatever you like) and one file of a different type (jpg, gif, tif, txt, whatever you like).
2) Click on the first file; press and hold "Ctrl"; click on the second kind of file to highlight both.
3) Hit "Return" or follow any other method you would 'normally' use to open these highlighted files ...
4) Scratch your head in confusion when you are given an error message or asked for "Print" options because Vista and Win 7 are only allowed to open one type of file at a time--but Windows 3.1, 3.11, '95, 98, ... , and XP let the user open as many as he/she wanted. (If you want proof, I'll post Win 98 screen caps ... etc., etc., see above.) :huh:

BEFORE you suggest any "resource" problem--please see my original post. I am very serious about opening at least 35 files simultaneously in all previous Windows versions. In fact, I might have more resources on this one :huh: computer than all other personal computers I've ever used combined, yet Vista has been a :huh: to use. And some of the most frustrating parts still remain in Win 7 ...

Please excuse my frustration, B)
F&C

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

Hmm...when I do this, I only get the last file that was clicked (after the shift, then click). This happens when trying 1, 2, or 20 files. I only get one: the last one clicked (after holding down Shift).

Ohhh...wait...I tried the same thing on my netbook, and it goes to Print. That's baffling... :huh:

For some reason, having that many files selected makes the default action (the one that is bold when you right-click) Print. You can still chose Preview, after right-clicking. But I still only get the file that was clicked, not all the ones highlighted...

I'm going to have to sleep on this one... :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 29 March 2010 - 12:18 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

You can download The GIMP and select all the pictures you want to open and use open with GIMP.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

If this topic is accurate:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...24-f0f28d37432b

then it looks like that's how Vista works:

"this feature will work just when you select same file type extensions (just *.xls or just *.xlsx). It also has a limit of 15 files you may select.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

"this feature will work just when you select same file type extensions (just *.xls or just *.xlsx). It also has a limit of 15 files you may select.

Hi Platypus,

Yes, your link seems to look at part of the problem. Once I saw yours, I used it to find this one that hits the whole thing squarely:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1056937.htm

Apparently, MS did this deliberately in Vista and Win 7 ( :huh: ) and this link has a work-around that I don't understand. :huh:

Can you make any sense of it? :huh:

F&C

#8 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

You can download The GIMP and select all the pictures you want to open and use open with GIMP.

Thank you, cryptodan.

When you follow the steps in Win Explorer that I outlined earlier, what happens with The Gimp, please? (And can you open jpgs, gifs, and text files simultaneously, too?)

F&C

#9 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hmm...when I do this, I only get the last file that was clicked (after the shift, then click). This happens when trying 1, 2, or 20 files. I only get one: the last one clicked (after holding down Shift).

Ohhh...wait...I tried the same thing on my netbook, and it goes to Print. That's baffling... :huh:

For some reason, having that many files selected makes the default action (the one that is bold when you right-click) Print. You can still chose Preview, after right-clicking. But I still only get the file that was clicked, not all the ones highlighted...

I'm going to have to sleep on this one... :huh:

Hey keyboardNinja,

Yup, it's baffling, frustrating, ridiculous, and ... you get the picture. :huh:
I look forward to your ideas, though. :huh:

F&C

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

It's not as frustrating to me as it is to you, as I have no reason to open more than one file at a time. But it is frustrating in the sense that I simply can't do it...even though I don't need to.... :huh:

And to be honest, I really have no idea how to fix it.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 29 March 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#11 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

It's not as frustrating to me as it is to you, as I have no reason to open more than one file at a time. But it is frustrating in the sense that I simply can't do it...even though I don't need to.... :huh:

And to be honest, I really have no idea how to fix it. If you could

Thanks for your sympathy, keyboardNinja. :huh:

If you come up with any ideas, feel free to drop by again!

F&C

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Will do! :huh:

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thank you, cryptodan.

When you follow the steps in Win Explorer that I outlined earlier, what happens with The Gimp, please? (And can you open jpgs, gifs, and text files simultaneously, too?)

F&C

You can open only picture files, but do the same steps for any other file type. I have opened upwards of 50 documents at once by accident.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hi Platypus,

Yes, your link seems to look at part of the problem. Once I saw yours, I used it to find this one that hits the whole thing squarely:
http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1056937.htm

Apparently, MS did this deliberately in Vista and Win 7 ( :huh: ) and this link has a work-around that I don't understand. :huh:

Can you make any sense of it? :huh:

F&C

I'm trying to decipher it lol. I'm pretty sure I can tranlate that for you but there is one point I want to verify.

On another note: Thanks for your explanation. Like keyboardninja, I have never had to open that many files at once and as such never dreamed it would be a problem. As soon as I can verify my question on that vbs script I'll post it for you. However, if someone else who actually KNOWS posts it before then that's even better.

#15 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thank you, cryptodan.

F&C

You can open only picture files, but do the same steps for any other file type. I have opened upwards of 50 documents at once by accident.

Does it somehow change the Windows shell defaults?
And can you open jpgs, gifs, and pngs simultaeously in Win Explorer?

F&C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users