Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting autorun.inf folder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 danjo-xx

danjo-xx

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

I've read up a bit about autorun and have disabled it by going into gpedit.msc and now want to get rid of autorun.inf folder, I tried
using this method........

Use the following instructions to remove Flash Disinfector protection (autorun.inf folder).

* Click Start -> Run.
* Type notepad and press Enter.
* Copy all the text below into Notepad.

@echo off

set drv=c:\

attrib -A -H -S -R %drv%\autorun.inf
del \\.\%drv%\autorun.inf\"lpt3.This folder was created by Flash_Disinfector"
rd %drv%\autorun.inf
* Save this as remove_fd.bat to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad).
* Double Click remove_fd.bat and wait for the dos window to close and file.txt will appear on the desktop.
* Repeat previous steps to all drives, make replacing c with the appropriate drive letter.

with no success and I am not sure what to do next............ I have no evidence to suggest any infection.

Sorry if this has been answered a thousand times, but I did do a search guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Why do you want to delete autorun.inf?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:39 AM

Access the System Properties Dialog. Using Control Panel: My Computer: Properties or Explorer: My Computer: Properties.
Select the Device Manager tab.
Select the CD-ROM folder.
Select the entry for your CD-ROM drive.
Select Properties.
Select the Settings tab.
Turn on or off the Auto insert notification option.
Select OK.
Select OK
This is usually used to turn Autorun on if faulty (but can also turn it off) - The call is usually to turn it on , not off -

EDIT - As per Budapest , Why would you want to delete it (unless it was to repair it) ??

Edited by noknojon, 29 March 2010 - 04:00 AM.

#4 danjo-xx

danjo-xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Why do you want to delete autorun.inf?

It just appeared on my desktop and won't go away........and because of this post by garmanaa in another thread.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:

* USB-Based Malware Attacks
* Danger USB! Worm targets removable memory sticks.
* When is AUTORUN.INF really an AUTORUN.INF?.
* miekiemoes' Blog: Please disable Autorun asap!.

These types of infections usually involve malware that modifies and loads an autorun.inf (configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When the removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

The autorun.inf created by Flash Disinfector is there to prevent you from these types of USB-Based malware attacks. But I do not believe that it should be on your desktop.

This tool is good for removing stubborn files and folders: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 danjo-xx

danjo-xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

The autorun.inf created by Flash Disinfector is there to prevent you from these types of USB-Based malware attacks. But I do not believe that it should be on your desktop.

This tool is good for removing stubborn files and folders: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

But this from my post above seems to be saying the opposite. :thumbsup: Will try that unlocker but LockHunter can't shift it.

When the removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

autorun.inf is not necessarily malicious, it depends on the situation. But autorun.inf is sometimes used by malware as a means of spreading itself. Flash Disinfector inserts its own autorun.inf to prevent malware from being able to use it.

Autorun.inf is the primary instruction file associated with the Autorun function. Autorun.inf itself is a simple text-based configuration file that tells the operating system which executable to start, which icon to use, and which additional menu commands to make available.

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninf.htm

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 danjo-xx

danjo-xx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

After trying several things I did a scan with autorun virus remover and am happy I don't have an infection but I get very suspicious of files or folders that lock on to my system and can't be shifted. So I just moved it off my desktop (sick lookin at it) and I am leaving Autorun disabled as a precaution. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users