Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fivespeedfrenzy

fivespeedfrenzy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:39 PM

I have a AMD Athlon 800MHz computer with a VIA VT686A motherboard, 30 GB HD, WinME, and I can't get it to boot. It runs POST fine, but then it freezes, with a black screen and a flashing underscore at the top left corner. I have no access to any drive (I can't even load a boot disk), and it doesn't beep once like it should after POST. About one month ago, I had to format and partition my hard drive due to a worm I couldn't get rid of, and reinstalled WinME, with no problems afterward. The computer worked fine until a week ago when it would not boot at all. I took out everything except for the vid card and one memory module, and restarted it four times before it booted up fine. After that I installed the cards one by one, restarting after each install, and the computer booted fine everytime after. So I thought it just needed a kick in the butt, until yesterday when the problem occurred again, and I'm doing what I did before, with no results at all except just one time when it started to boot WinME then froze. I restarted again, and back to square one. I pulled the CMOS clear jumper, that didn't work. I'm at a loss. Right now I'd rather just get a new motherboard, but I'd rather fix the problem. Does anyone have an idea what's going on with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

Sounds as if you have experience working on the inside so lets do some more testing.

Just pulling the CMOS jumper on most MB's do not reset them. There is usually 3 pins and the jumper is set on pin 1 & 2, you will need to unplug the power cord and move the jumper to pins 2 & 3 wait 30 sec. then put it back on 1 & 2. Then you will need to boot to the BIOS and set the Clock and Defaults.

Then do as you did before and remove all external hardware and all your internal cards. Then unplug the power cord & IDE Cables (at the MB) from your Floppy & CD Drives, leaving only the HDD, Keyboard, Mouse, & Monitor connected. You can also try moving the Memory Modules into different slots. Then see if it will boot up.

#3 fivespeedfrenzy

fivespeedfrenzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Okay, I'm still not getting it to boot. I even disconnected the HD and plugged in the FD to see if it'll boot the boot disk, which resulted in the same thing. Can you think of anything else I could do? I'm just tempted to buy a new motherboard and CPU!

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Can you enter the BIOS? If so then the MB is probably not the problem.
When in the BIOS, are the drives, CPU & Memory show as being detected?
You can unplug the Mouse & Keyboard then boot and see what happens.

#5 fivespeedfrenzy

fivespeedfrenzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Good point. Okay, I pulled both the mouse and keyboard, and still getting nothing. Everything is being detected as well.

#6 fivespeedfrenzy

fivespeedfrenzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Oh, and yeah I can get into BIOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users