Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq System Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vaare

Vaare

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Alright. I'm a little pissed so don't mind me if I seem a little angry at parts. About a week ago I planned to do a system restore because my PC has been acting screwy. I've done it at least 3-4 times in the past so I know how its done. I backed up all my files on an external hard drive. Took 48 hours but I did it. Then I put in my Restore CD and the damn thing doesn't work. I contacted Compaq via their website and ordered a new restore CD at no cost. It got here today, I pop it in, and that doesn't work either.

So can someone please tell me any reasons why two different disks wouldn't work on my PC, and how to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi Vaare,

Were you getting error messages when the computer was running? Were there any indications of failure? The reason for the questions is it sounds like either the hard drive is going bad - should have given a 1720 smart drive failure - immanent drive failure (or something like that) - or the CD drive may be having a problem.

Do the restore cds try to start - any lights on cd drive when reading? You know what the restore splash screen looks like... ever see it come up for you to make selections about the restore?

One last thing, make sure your cd drive is the first boot item in your cmos settings To check that, press F10 at the Compaq startup splash screen and then look at the boot order. The CD drive should be first - or at least before the hard drive.

Let us know what you find....

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Vaare

Vaare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

I put the CD in and rebooted the computer. I've done this many times before so I know what the QuickRestore screen looks like. Instead of a blue screen coming up with the 4-5 options there displayed a red screen which said something along the lines of "Error, Please contact a Compaq technician" and that's all.

The CD drive is in perfect working condition. I even tried the DVD-ROM drive and I got the same error. And the CD-R drive is the first item on my boot list. Would me having a recent hard drive upgrade have anything to do with this?

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

Welcome back Vaare,

Would me having a recent hard drive upgrade have anything to do with this?

That is your answer :thumbsup: When you use that system restore disk, it looks for certain things... on of which is your hard drive specs. The new hard drive is throwing it off. You will have to contact Compaq and tell them that you replaced your hard drive and now need a different restore cd. It is more general for your system. I have faced the same situation you are facing, about 3 months ago, with a friend whose drive failed. She had to purchase a CD set. I think the cost was $15.

Good luck in restoring your system.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users